Time to get rid of the old and bring in the new

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so I have a lot!!! of old equipment that is starting to go out on me at once and I’m looking to replace all of it at some point. My only problem is the cash flow is limited and I’m not sure what I need first. Here’s a list of what I need
Protein skimmer
Lights
Dosing pump
Testing kit
Rodi unit
Uv sterilizer
So now I’m at the point where I only have enough money for one thing at a time maybe two. So what’s most important compared to what can I put off. Now I have all this equipment still so keep that in mind I’m just replacing it!

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

1st you need good water as a foundation.
2nd you need to test to know if you even need to use a skimmer you may not and there are other ways to control nutrient output other than a skimmer so you may not even need to "replace" it if you don't need to use it to begin with.
3rd lights hard to say on that because there isn't a lot of info from you. what do you use now how old, what are you keeping? are they growing or dyeing. if they are growing no need for lights, if they are dying its not likely the lights and may be item one or item 2.
4th see above item 3.
5th see above item 3 and 4.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Test kit
2. RO DI

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Busch Beer GIF by Busch

1st you need good water as a foundation.
2nd you need to test to know if you even need to use a skimmer you may not and there are other ways to control nutrient output other than a skimmer so you may not even need to "replace" it if you don't need to use it to begin with.
3rd lights hard to say on that because there isn't a lot of info from you. what do you use now how old, what are you keeping? are they growing or dyeing. if they are growing no need for lights, if they are dying its not likely the lights and may be item one or item 2.
4th see above item 3.
5th see above item 3 and 4.
Well the lights are about 5 years old and there current orbit marine lights and they corals aren’t dying there just not growing.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the lights are about 5 years old and there current orbit marine lights and they corals aren’t dying there just not growing.
Then that makes a bit of an impact. Now we know what you would like to see: better growth from your corals.
What kind of corals? Have you tried feeding?
I will admit knowing this may affect my order. What's the budget look like if you wanted to get new lights? Tank size?
Also I see you're a Chevy man. Not holding that against you at all. Just sayin.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then that makes a bit of an impact. Now we know what you would like to see: better growth from your corals.
What kind of corals? Have you tried feeding?
I will admit knowing this may affect my order. What's the budget look like if you wanted to get new lights? Tank size?
Also I see you're a Chevy man. Not holding that against you at all. Just sayin.
I have monti cap and lps and softies mix I feed maybe once a week. My budget for lights is $600 and I’m looking for something that doesn’t have a lot of shaded areas and also that can grow a mixed reef tank. Yes I am a Chevy man lol or any mussel for that reason I rebuild them from basically nothing and then re sell them but the one in the pic isn’t for sale lol!!

Last edited:

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with mars aqua Chinese black boxes and they grew corals just fine. Depending on tank size maybe something similar? I think Vispectra get good reviews on r2r. Then you can still have $ left for an average 4 stage Rodi unit and some basic test kits. Hanna ulr for phosphates and salifert kits seem to work well for me. I think the major suppliers tend to have sales either on memorial day or the 4th of July so I would look at getting the rodi and kits then. The light you can get on Amazon. If you wanted a nicer light I recommend reefbreeders they are a step up from CBB's but don't break the bank.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with mars aqua Chinese black boxes and they grew corals just fine. Depending on tank size maybe something similar? I think Vispectra get good reviews on r2r. Then you can still have $ left for an average 4 stage Rodi unit and some basic test kits. Hanna ulr for phosphates and salifert kits seem to work well for me. I think the major suppliers tend to have sales either on memorial day or the 4th of July so I would look at getting the rodi and kits then. The light you can get on Amazon. If you wanted a nicer light I recommend reefbreeders they are a step up from CBB's but don't break the bank.
Ya I have a 75 gallon. Will those lights grow sps? I’m wanting something that also has good controls.

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya I have a 75 gallon. Will those lights grow sps? I’m wanting something that also has good controls.
I do believe the Vispectra will grow sps. There are a ton of threads about them on here. You can use the search function to find them. As for the Reefbreeders, yes they definately can. Battlebox corals uses them, exclusively I think.
2 vispectras would be needed total cost for both @ 300 on Amazon.
1 RB 48v2+ is 750.
Personally I went with the inexpensive lights and they did great on my 2 beginner tanks. I only upgraded to the RBs when I set up the final dream tank.

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do believe the Vispectra will grow sps. There are a ton of threads about them on here. You can use the search function to find them. As for the Reefbreeders, yes they definately can. Battlebox corals uses them, exclusively I think.
2 vispectras would be needed total cost for both @ 300 on Amazon.
1 RB 48v2+ is 750.
Personally I went with the inexpensive lights and they did great on my 2 beginner tanks. I only upgraded to the RBs when I set up the final dream tank.
Ok how are the controls on the black box? vs the rb I really like both but then again my bank doesn’t lol!!

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok how are the controls on the black box? vs the rb I really like both but then again my bank doesn’t lol!!
The bb are different now then the ones I got a few years ago. The have much more functionality then the basic ones I had.
Here is the link on Amazon it's pretty detailed.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Buy the RODI new. The filters/ membranes are a lot of the cost.

For the rest, just watch the dry goods forum and pick it up when you see a good deal.

For $600 you will find a high quality light. Might be able to find 2 XR30 gen 4.... 1 XR30 Gen5.... 2 a360x...

Testing kits... I would go with Hanna. The order I would buy them is salinity, alk, nitrate, phosphate, Ca, Mg

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well guys I ordered a rodi unit off of amazon and I also bought a testing kit pack!
My phosphate is at 1.0
Magnesium 1300
Calcium is a whopping 600!!!! Edit: I retook this and it’s gone down to 500
Alkalinity is 7.0 dkh or 2.5 meg/l
And salinity is 1.025

OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old sailfer kit always read calcium low so I always dosed heavy on calcium but it turns out it was really high. Any suggestions on what to do?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back