Time to Get Serious (Red Sea Reefer 250 Build)

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my third reef tank over the 15+ years I have been in the hobby, but this one will be special. Heck, this one already is special!

Background:
My current tank is a standard 29 gallon, Aqueon aquarium that my then girlfriend and I won at the MAX Aquarium Expo in 2016. We spent time building this into a reef aquarium with all HOB equipment. After suffering a minor crash a year and a half ago (didn't change the DI resin), the tank has bounced back and is better than ever!
IMG_0022.JPG
Fast forward to Christmas 2018... My now fiance and I were attending our local marine aquarium club's Holiday Party. Our club puts on a tremendous party with an amazing raffle. We had been discussing upgrading to a larger, more high tech aquarium in 2019, and happened to see that one of the raffle prizes was a Red Sea Reefer 250. We joked and said we will purchase $140 worth of raffle tickets and put the majority into that bucket...well wouldn't you know it, we won! It was the best feeling in the world! One Uber XL later, and the RSR 250 was back in our apartment.
IMG_6646.jpg

Current Status:
The tank has been sitting in our spare bedroom, much to the despise of my fiance, waiting to be set up. We are set to get married in April 2019 and may be moving to a new apartment complex in the upcoming months. I do not see the tank being assembled until after the wedding, but that hasn't stopped me from gathering equipment for the build.
IMG_7490.jpg
My brother is also in the hobby, and notified me of a client of his that was selling his entire set up for a ridiculously low price (relatively speaking, but I assure you it was a steal). After some talks with the fiance, remember we have a wedding coming up in April, we decided to purchase the equipment.

Quick list of what was purchased:
- (2) EcoTech Radion XR30 Pro Gen 4
- (2) Radion Tank Mount
- (2) EcoTech VorTech MP40wQD
- (2) Additional MP40 Wet Side
- EcoTech Reef Link
- Apex w/ DOS & DDR
- Apex Power Panel
- Neptune ATK
- ATO Reservoir
- (2) Reef Octopus VarioS 4
- Reef Octopus Regal 150 INT 6" Skimmer
- Reef Octopus 152-S-6" Skimmer
- Skimz Algae Reactor
- (2) GEO Media Reactor
- BRS RO/DI w/ Extra DI Chamber
- Along with many other items (including the 75 gallon tank and stand) that I plan to sell.

With the equipment purchased, the tricky part is to get it all the way from Pennsylvania (brother lives) to California (I live). The plan is for my family to bring as much with them as possible during their upcoming trips from PA to CA for the wedding. Some of it has already made the journey and is sitting patiently until the build can begin.
IMG_7488.jpg IMG_7489.jpg
I am currently in the process of trading/selling some of my corals for more desired corals for the new tank. The current tank will be completely broken down, corals fragged, and quarantined prior to making their debut in the RSR 250.

So that is it for now. I will continue to update with news regarding future plans, the build, and life events!

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow can I borrow some of your luck lol? Congrats on the new tank and upcoming wedding!
Seriously...I have landed a few good deals when it comes to my reefing hobby. Hopefully it carries through with the entire build process. I've never had this much equipment to run a tank, and quite frankly, its a little over whelming.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@AwildcatsZ great bargain buys. I have a RSR 250 too !!! Congratulations on your engagement. We just got engaged in November !!!
Congrats on your engagement as well! I wish you and your fiance the best in everything.

@Hemmdog That is quite the coincidence! We have taken similar paths. I wonder if I ever met your wife while I attended U of A

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My line of work has lead me to an interesting idea regarding the plumbing of my build. I started a thread about glueless PVC locks and whether they could be an option for reef tank plumbing. These seem like a great solution to quickly disassembling and assembling the plumbing for maintenance, repairs, or additions.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/glueless-locking-pvc-fittings-thoughts.559223/

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which skimmer do you prefer? Will you try both of them?
I have yet to even see either skimmer as my brother still has them in PA. He will be bringing them (or at least one) out with him in April. Ideally I would prefer to try both skimmers, but would like to start with the 150INT 6" as this gets great reviews online.

My concern with either skimmer is that they are rated well above what I have planned for the tank (65 gallons). I do not like a heavy bioload and plan to keep fish to a minimum (5-6 fish).

According to BRS the 150 is rated:
  • Heavy Bioload (Most Common) - 100 Gallons
  • Medium Bioload - 150 Gallons
  • Light Bioload - 210 gallons
and the 152 is rated:
  • Light Stocked - 200 Gallons
  • Medium Stocked - 140 Gallons
  • Heavily Stocked - 90 Gallons
The initial plan is to avoid running the skimmer 24 hours a day to avoid over skimming and at the same time keeping the apartment noise down while we are home. First thoughts of a schedule go something like this:

Skimmer ON: 12am - 5:30pm (lights on at 8am)
Skimmer OFF: 5:00pm - 10pm (lights off at 10pm)
Skimmer ON: 10pm - 12am
Total time ON: 19 hours
Total time OFF: 5 hours (may increase this while monitoring the tank)

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UPDATE ALERT!

My fiance, really soon to be wife, found out she got the promotion we were waiting to hear about! This will involve moving apartments this summer (June). Luckily the move is just down the road, but it is still a significant move...especially with a 3 year established reef tank. With our wedding coming up on April 13th this means I have a tight window to execute my plan to move the current tank and set up the new tank.

image1 (1).jpeg

My overall plan is to break the current tank down into a frag tank using egg crate shelves. This will give me a chance to quarantine all corals (I have a very mild aiptasia and flatworm issue) to ensure the new tank starts free of pests! I also believe this will reduce the chance of the tank going into a mini cycle when moved to the new apartment.

I started removing the sand bed last night. I plan to remove 1/3 of the sand bed at a time and give 4-7 days between to allow the tank to settle and avoid any mini cycles. I will be monitoring everything closely during this process!

image1.jpeg

This will be a long and tedious process, but I believe will give me the best chance at a successful move!

Last edited:
OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Confirmed with my brother in Pennsylvania, he will be shipping the remaining items in the coming weeks! The skimmer will be in his luggage when he make the trip to California for the wedding! Things are really starting to move! Cannot wait to start this build!

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last few days I have been collecting dry rock from fellow reefers in the OC area. I have traded a few frags for this haul of rocks.

69213fe7cf2d3b2794ba52003667a77e.jpg

84561b34c76eb5153e393444eeba20aa.jpg

My plan is to get some NYOS Reef Cement and piece together an aquascape next week when my brother gets into town. If all goes well I plan to begin cycling the rock in a 34 gallon, food safe, tote that I picked up from Target.

This will help speed up my timeline of having the tank running when I move in the coming months.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HUGE WEEKEND UPDATE! Yesterday I married the love of my life, and the one person I want at my side for all of life’s adventures (including this build)! Everything went perfect, and she even mentioned the hobby in her vows, lol.
0620eedac6827dca7aa4f10198367106.jpg

Things also moved along with the build! My brother and parents brought along the rest of the equipment that I purchased a while back.
80f28373d572f529fd1617b80a80db83.jpg

ad3d2a31186f49bed5b2533197941293.jpg

da64148c6c6f1b16ac1a5ccdf956a3e4.jpg

Along with the equipment I purchased 40lbs of dry rock which should be arriving this week. Hoping to start the aquascape build next weekend with the help of my now wife!

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting remarried if it means I can register for new reef stuff! AwildcatsZ...as in University of Arizona Wildcats??? That is my Alma-mater! I still currently reside in AZ. Congratulations newlyweds. I've been married 18 years and I have loved everything in the ups and downs of marriage. I'm happy for you.

OP
OP
AwildcatsZ

AwildcatsZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting remarried if it means I can register for new reef stuff! AwildcatsZ...as in University of Arizona Wildcats??? That is my Alma-mater! I still currently reside in AZ. Congratulations newlyweds. I've been married 18 years and I have loved everything in the ups and downs of marriage. I'm happy for you.

Haha if I could’ve added aquarium stuff to the registry...lol. I purchased all that equipment used, just happened to be in PA so my family brought it to me in CA. Congrats on the success of your marriage!

BEAR DOWN! Class of 2011 (undergrad) and 2014 (masters). I loved my time there and one day hope to return.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha if I could’ve added aquarium stuff to the registry...lol. I purchased all that equipment used, just happened to be in PA so my family brought it to me in CA. Congrats on the success of your marriage!

BEAR DOWN! Class of 2011 (undergrad) and 2014 (masters). I loved my time there and one day hope to return.
Class of 2007 (masters).
AZ Wildcat.jpg

Back