Time to rehome tang?

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed some bits of upper and rear fin missing on my yellow tang. Looks like my Scopas tang is being aggressive towards it.
When all my fish were introduced to the tank they were fighting a little but then they calmed down for some time. Apparently the scopas didnt forget the fight and has bright it back up with nipping.
Is there anything I can try before I rehome the scopas? Its a 150gallon display tank with the following fish:
4 chromis
2 clowns
scopas tang
yellow tang
sailfin tang
royal blue tang
6 line wrasse
goby

I had a blenny but I havent seen him in quite some time. Never was able to find a carcass.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've heard of folks trying the mirror trick and being successful but this is usually early on. As tangs age and grow they usually become more territorial. I would closely monitor the aggression and possibly consider re homing. Best of luck to you and your fish :)

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi, i would recommend removing scopas ,when rogue will take out a another 2x it's size.
jmo, if you remove yellow ,it is going to go after sailfin.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i would recommend removing scopas ,when rogue will take out a another 2x it's size.
jmo, if you remove yellow ,it is going to go after sailfin.
Yea, the sailfin is maybe half the scopas in size. I bet he would be next.
The experts will post up soon, but two zebrasomas can eventually be trouble without enough real estate. A rehome may be due.
I thought 150gallons would be enough but maybe I was wrong.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My first suspect is SAIL fin otherwise Scopas.
I had a HUGE sailfin and never a single nip on any of my tangs. As soon as sailfin was added, all tangs had nips or shredded fins.
Sailfin left and its a miracle- no damage. . ever
So how can you confirm ?
Simply take your cell phone and place on video mode for about 45 mins. Add a little food, record and walk away. YOU MUST WALK AWAY as they know youre there and will be on good behavior. Feeding promotes aggression with tangs fighting for it all (another behavior of a sailfin tang)
Come back later and review video and should be able to see who your culprit is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Scopas was the culprit. I came home from work and he had the yellow in a corner beating him up. I caught the scopas and had him rehomed last night. Im hoping the yellow pulls through but from the looks of things he might not last a day unless hes a tough fighter.

mrtallbear86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first suspect is SAIL fin otherwise Scopas.
I had a HUGE sailfin and never a single nip on any of my tangs. As soon as sailfin was added, all tangs had nips or shredded fins.
Sailfin left and its a miracle- no damage. . ever
So how can you confirm ?
Simply take your cell phone and place on video mode for about 45 mins. Add a little food, record and walk away. YOU MUST WALK AWAY as they know youre there and will be on good behavior. Feeding promotes agfgression with tangs fighting for it all (another behavior of a sailfin tang)
Come back later and review video and should be able to see who your culprit

mrtallbear86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. Scopas was the culprit. I came home from work and he had the yellow in a corner beating him up. I caught the scopas and had him rehomed last night. Im hoping the yellow pulls through but from the looks of things he might not last a day unless hes a tough fighter.
I’m sorry to hear that. I have the same issue with a purple beating up my scopas. I need to get rid of the purple. We are kind partial to the scopas. He’s been with us from the beginning

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rehomed Scopas is doing well in his new 300 gallon tank. Im actually in the process of tearing down my smaller (45g) tank and placing all the corals in the large tank. Two tanks is just too much for me to juggle as a saltwater newcomer. Once everything is stable again ill grab another yellow tang.

Back