Time to replace T5 bulbs - I added ReefBrite XHO Actinics to my T5/MH - What bulb combination would be best?

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a Geismann T5/MH Fixture with 2 48" XHO Reefbrite Actinics added on. It's time to replace my T5 bulbs and was wondering if there is a better mix of bulbs to use then my current setup now that i have an extra blue supplement with XHO.

Right now I am running 3 ATI Blue+ and 1 Purple Plus + XHO Actinic during the morning and evening, and XHO Actinic + 2x Radion 20K MH bulbs midday.

Can someone recommend a good combo of ATI bulbs now that i have the additional blue supplements or is what i have good enough?

Goal is florescence and excellent SPS health and coloration, this is over a 100% SPS tank.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m playing around with 2 blue plus/ 1coral plus/and 1actinic with actinic XHO.... the coral plus will widen the spectrum band a bit but waiting to see if a purple plus would work better

OP
OP
jd-woodlands

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else run any combinations.. the MH are a moot point for the color blending as the T5s are off during mid-day.

Anyone use the Aqua Blue bulbs in their mix or have a similar setup with T5 + Actinic XHO?

Starting to think I should just by 2 of all of them, try it out, and send back what doesn't work.

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what your goal is, but you can get any T5 bulb there as you wish because the halides is doing the lift. It's all about your taste for the T5s. Everyone will tell you what THEY like. You have buy what YOU like. Would be great if you would put some pictures of your SPS here to illustrate this thread.

WallyB

REEF Techno-Geek
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead an experiment with different T5 Combos. I do all the time.

But if your replacing becuase you think it's time, consider not throwing them out.
I was lazy and I kept my old t5's that I replaced every 6-8-12 months. Just stored them in a box.
Never properly disposed of them.
Glad I didn't.

After watching this video, I started re-using them, and had plenty of selection for my different setups.

Just in case you didn't watch this. Watch it.

Retailers will keep telling you about how often you need to replace them. Hey, they have to make money, so you can't blame them.

The (Scientifically Proven) Video from the Honest PROs (who also sell T5's) convinced me that changing T5's isn't needed as much as you think (for Spectrum Shift or Pars)

Last edited:

A. grandis

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go ahead an experiment with different T5 Combos. I do all the time.

But if your replacing becuase you think it's time, consider not throwing them out.
I was lazy and I kept my old t5's that I replaced every 6-8-12 months. Just stored them in a box.
Never properly disposed of them.
Glad I didn't.

After watching this video, I started re-using them, and had plenty of selection for my different setups.

Just in case you didn't watch this. Watch it.

Retailers will keep telling you about how often you need to replace them. Hey, they have to make money, so you can't blame them.

The (Scientifically Proven) Video from the Honest PROs (who also sell T5's) convinced me that changing T5's isn't needed as much as you think (for Spectrum Shift or Pars)

Some bulbs start to shift their spectrum visibly after 8 months, specially the "whites". They can run much more than that though. I change all bulbs ("whites" and "blues") every year and notice darker ends within that period, which is a sign of deterioration. I could go up to 18 months, sure, but I see the spectrum change results and prefer 12 months. Just my preference.

OP
OP
jd-woodlands

jd-woodlands

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies, i guess my goal is to get the look i want, which i won't know until i see it! I'll grab some various bulbs and give it a go. my current setup looks pretty good, but i think it could be better when t5's are on.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 88 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.0%
Back