Time to share my seahorse fry.

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all.

I figured I would share a video of my seahorse fry. I have kept seahorses since my early days of reef keeping and had them in my first reef. They always amaze me .
I’m no expert when it comes to them and in early 2000’s I started raising H reidi , they where a lot of work. I was younger then and did mine all the work. So last year I decided to start breeding erectus. Easier then the reidi. The first back was from a young male and where supper small. I lost them to bacteria. These in the video were larger and did much better. I raise then in my bowl set up for approx 1 week then move to 20 gallon long tank for a few weeks. Then I moved them in to a set up made with muck tubs and a sump with live rock. The tubs stsy super clean and easy to do water changes. These are nearing five weeks. I did lose a few early on but have over fifty now With a younger batch of about 80 to a hundred in the 20 long ready to move to a tub. Like I said I’m no expert and know at any point something can happen and I could lose them. Hopefully not.

I’m not having any luck uploading videos, sorry

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Smelly fish

Big Smelly fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will add photos instead
39D97896-B388-43CB-BFC1-BBC5281A2BB9.jpeg
EC69E455-714A-496D-80C2-6901FED4E41F.jpeg

OP
OP
Big Smelly fish

Big Smelly fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This batch is two weeks old. Over a hundred in this batch . Getting ready for the tubs when they all hitch at night.
The second video is the 5 week old and I’m working on training them to eat frozen

OP
OP
Big Smelly fish

Big Smelly fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What amazing creatures, are they still on baby brine or full frozen?
They are mostly mysis but still get some bbs for the ones lagging behind.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG that is insanely amazing! We're you feeding them bbs when they were really young? I saw a bunch of them locking tails in your video (the 5 week old fry) and swimming off. I'm assuming that's a seahorse thing? So cool. I want some so badly! :)

OP
OP
Big Smelly fish

Big Smelly fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding time today, they eat a lot of frozen mysis three times a day. And if you listen really close you can hear the snicking, that little popping sound. I put just enough in each time to give them time to eat before the food reaches the bottom. There are the ones that like to swim across the bottom looking for what makes it there.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back