Tin and Aluminium reef tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

I got ICP test results a few days ago which indicated high levels of tin (Sn = 25) and Aluminum (Al=82) (pic below)

What could the reason(s) for the fore mentioned elevated level of Tin and Aluminium?

There some things which I suspect caused these elevated levels, please let me know what you think:
1. I have cleaned my mp10 and found rust on its wet side's handle base (pics below)
2. I mounted an xr30 using the mounting cables and I suspect small chips of the mounting cable fell in the water during the installation process
3. RODI - I will send to triton to perform ICP test

IMG_6950.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-13 at 20.29.36.png

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had high Al with marine pure blocks. If you have marine pure they could be problematic. Phosban will help remove Al, not sure about tin. Be careful not to remove too much PO4 too quickly. This can lead to dinoflagellates.

OP
OP
Zoa.Mania

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had high Al with marine pure blocks. If you have marine pure they could be problematic. Phosban will help remove Al, not sure about tin. Be careful not to remove too much PO4 too quickly. This can lead to dinoflagellates.
This is a very interesting thing you say here

How comes you are so sure that the marine pure block were the source of Al in your system?

Cflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no other source. Also when I removed the blocks I was able to get Al to normal levels. It never returned after removing phosban. This was also with triton method where I wasn’t doing water changes.

OP
OP
Zoa.Mania

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had no other source. Also when I removed the blocks I was able to get Al to normal levels. It never returned after removing phosban. This was also with triton method where I wasn’t doing water changes.
I see.
Thank you very much!

I did had Marine Pure blocks and after you pointed it out I made a super tiny research in a form of a google search and found this thread:

And since I Have enough biological media and I was already fighting against too little nutrients, I decided to take them out of the system

meanwhile, I sent my RODI water for an ICP test to ensure I am not importing any of these elements as well.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pvc pipes can also be the cause… when the pipes are manufactured, there is traces is metal from the tool used to make them,,, you have to wash your pipes before using them.. otherwise the metal will enter the system.

OP
OP
Zoa.Mania

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my MP10 wetside looks just like that. Did removing solve the issue? How did that ICP test results look?
No. The tin probably came from other source. Because the next icp showed about 60.
I checked my RODI water and it turned out perfect. Super clean.

At the time I started a new build so I changed this tank to a softies tank and I swapped metal shafts to ceramic shafts just to be sure. I might give this tank another test in few months

OP
OP
Zoa.Mania

Zoa.Mania

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pvc pipes can also be the cause… when the pipes are manufactured, there is traces is metal from the tool used to make them,,, you have to wash your pipes before using them.. otherwise the metal will enter the system.
Yeah I saw it somewhere online. This tank was pretty new (few months old) with not too much tubing or any pvc. I did tried some new equipment at the time which I already removed and made everything simple.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back