Tiny free swimming jellyfish?

bradv123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hello,
I found this tiny free swimming jellyfish in my refugium. It started swimming towards the surface when I turned off my return pump and the water settled. I only saw the one and I'm just curious what is it. It's almost all clear with some little red dots. Might not even be a jellyfish, who knows? For reference the lines off to the right are 1/2 inch apart so it's pretty tiny. Probably about 1mm long

Thanks

PXL_20201215_235752120.jpg

SWEET 17 After Sale!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
They’re hydroids that free swim and then stick to a surface and wait for food
They’re capable of stinging nearby coral

OP
B

bradv123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
They’re hydroids that free swim and then stick to a surface and wait for food
They’re capable of stinging nearby coral
If you mean sticking to the surface and not moving (like surface tension almost) then it wasn't doing that. It was just swimming around near the surface

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
B

bradv123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks for clearer explanation
I think we’re looking here at a baby pistol shrimp
Thank you, but I'm not sure I agree. I was trying to find images of baby pistol shrimps / pictures of their lifecycle and I didn't see anything that looked the same or even very similar. Is there a source you recommend looking at? Also as an update I turned off my return pump and watched my fuge for probably close to 10 minutes and found another one

AS

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you, but I'm not sure I agree. I was trying to find images of baby pistol shrimps / pictures of their lifecycle and I didn't see anything that looked the same or even very similar. Is there a source you recommend looking at? Also as an update I turned off my return pump and watched my fuge for probably close to 10 minutes and found another one
Google pistol shrimp eggs, pistol shrimp babies, pistol shrimp fry and pistol shrimp hatchlings videos

1DA8298D-24E8-4716-8246-E970B5EF0037.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
B

bradv123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Google pistol shrimp eggs, pistol shrimp babies, pistol shrimp fry and pistol shrimp hatchlings videos

1DA8298D-24E8-4716-8246-E970B5EF0037.jpeg
The ones in the video look fairly similar, but it looks like they have two spots which looks like eyes. The ones I have look like they have one spot at the top of an upside down bowl. and several more spots around the perimeter of the bowls rim if that makes sense

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
The ones in the video look fairly similar, but it looks like they have two spots which looks like eyes. The ones I have look like they have one spot at the top of an upside down bowl. and several more spots around the perimeter of the bowls rim if that makes sense
I just meant red spots probably mean its something a little cooler than an amphipod/copepod/ostracods, lots of jellies have spots.

I agree with everyone on the crustacean vibe, the movement looks very baby shrimp. Can you get a macro photo of one?? I use a jewelers lupe held up against my phone camera and it works great if you have a lupe handy

What have you found to be the best things/methods to beat hair algae? (choose all that apply)

• Hydrogen peroxide

Votes: 103 17.1%
  • Lawn Mower Blenny (or other fish)

Votes: 131 21.7%
  • Manual Removal

Votes: 284 47.1%
  • Rock Scrubbing

• Lowered Phosphates

• Tank Blackouts

Votes: 34 5.6%