Tiny glass arm reaching out of live rock

Dan P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CE5FE456-872D-47AD-8962-51C6B81A4F01.png
This flies in and out of a general area on this piece of live rock, probably 5 times a second or more sometimes. It reaches out of one tiny hole, randomly grabbing several times with what I assume are it’s pincers before retreating and popping out of a different tiny hole and doing the same. The snail tube next to it is 1/4” long, for reference. Looks like a jointed glass arm that can reach nearly an inch out that I’ve seen. Occasionally it will grab a feather duster or zoa but is too small to damage them. Be cool to know what it is! Thanks!

OP
OP
Dan P

Dan P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe it’s a peanut worm, I think I have those also and they’re much bigger, this is very slim and clear comparatively.

Desgada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair Worm? They have long clear feeding arms like that....2 of them usually.

OP
OP
Dan P

Dan P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hair Worm? They have long clear feeding arms like that....2 of them usually.
I don’t think so, I’ve never seen anything else in the tank move at the speed this does, and I have videos where I can see the pincers at the end grab at things which I don’t believe hair worms have.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;BookwormThis is new to me. I haven`t seen one of these creatures before. @Lovemyreef2015
I have no idea what it is either. I am taking a screen shot of this comment and marking it on my calendar. Never thought I'd see these words from KJ!

OP
OP
Dan P

Dan P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool stuff, it’s fun to have something a little unusual!

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is new to me @Lovemyreef2015
I have no idea what it is either. I am taking a screen shot of this comment and marking it on my calendar. Never thought I'd see these words from KJ!
Me either lol,once in a while something new pops up I haven`t came across yet, that is the fun part, research coming up.

OP
OP
Dan P

Dan P

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say pincers, are there just two or multiple? Some sort of small medusa worm may be suspect.
There is only the pair at the end, like one crab claw has. That being said, recently I have seen a second, smaller arm as well, sometimes simultaneously and sometimes not. I’ve been watching the first for at least 6 or 7 months, maybe longer, but hadn’t seen a second until a couple weeks ago. I don’t know if it’s one or two beings since they never come out more than the arms that I’ve seen.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 64 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back