Tiny Isopods

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been fallow for over two months now and it has been an amazing explosion of the pod population. They completely cover the back and side glass, as well as scuttling on the bottom glass.

This evening, I noticed some much larger pods (about 3-4mm perhaps) on the rocks, glass bottom and sides with a broad head and lots of legs. I watched them for a while and noticed one predating on the much tinier copepods. They’re still much smaller than any amphipods I’ve ever seen before, but are more biologically complex than copepods. Could these be isopods? Any idea what kind, for curiosity’s sake? I don’t see eyes so at least I can assume they’re safe when the fish start going back in.

My melanurus is going to be so fat and happy, and I’m really tempted to add a mandarin because the population of pods is literally insane. I’ve never seen so many before. At least going fallow had one silver lining.

Best pics I could manage:
75844D12-4ECA-4830-A650-16F5FBF04495.jpeg

1579E6AF-D307-488E-AB0C-553DF7C6F25A.jpeg

RedFrog211

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same thing in my tank. My 20g reef has been fallow for 2.5 months and these guys came out of nowhere. They’re definitely a type of amphipod, but I haven’t been able to pinpoint an exact ID. I’ve noticed some are orangish brown and love the overflow. I also have a good amount of macro-algae, so I’m sure that’s keeping them happy!

Back