Tiny little shrimp.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some live rock rubble from a friend today who was breaking down his tank and after putting the rocks in my tank I noticed probably 7-8 tiny little shrimp in the bag. They were around a half inch long and essentially clear with some red/flesh color in their chests. They were brine shrimp or amphipods. They were able to swim but would stay the bottom of the bag when undisturbed. I didn’t really think to take a picture and just poured them into the tank (they all made it down to the rock without getting eaten). Anyway I’ve never seen any hitchhikers like these, I’ve seen all kinds of amphipods, copepods, brine shrimp and all kinds of hitchhikers, but never seen anything like these. They were without a doubt shrimp and not amphipods or brine, they basically looked like ghost shrimp, only smaller. Anyone have any idea what they could be? Again, I absentmindedly didn’t take a picture, and now they’re on my rockwork and it’d be nearly impossible to photograph them in the tank, but I can see one of them kind of under my Duncan. Any insight would be appreciated!

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got some live rock rubble from a friend today who was breaking down his tank and after putting the rocks in my tank I noticed probably 7-8 tiny little shrimp in the bag. They were around a half inch long and essentially clear with some red/flesh color in their chests. They were brine shrimp or amphipods. They were able to swim but would stay the bottom of the bag when undisturbed. I didn’t really think to take a picture and just poured them into the tank (they all made it down to the rock without getting eaten). Anyway I’ve never seen any hitchhikers like these, I’ve seen all kinds of amphipods, copepods, brine shrimp and all kinds of hitchhikers, but never seen anything like these. They were without a doubt shrimp and not amphipods or brine, they basically looked like ghost shrimp, only smaller. Anyone have any idea what they could be? Again, I absentmindedly didn’t take a picture, and now they’re on my rockwork and it’d be nearly impossible to photograph them in the tank, but I can see one of them kind of under my Duncan. Any insight would be appreciated!
Sounds like live Mysid shrimp, like the ones they sell frozen in sheets as food. I love to watch mine zoom around under my rock work and Sea lettuce! I believe they eat detritus and algae, as well as other small pods and their own babies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back