Tiny Snail ID

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reminds me of a miniature nassarius but they're always the same size and the shell is too smooth but maybe they're like that when they're young also I never see eggs and they're always on the rock and glass, not on the sand. So I think they might be some other kind of snail that looks like them but small. They good? Bad? Seem harmless so far.

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whelks. I believe they can eat other snails and clams. I removed the ones I found in my tank, but I have one in the refugium of my 90 and have no problems with it there.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't see them well enough to be sure but your description of their behavior makes whelks almost a sure thing! They are predatory on other inverts and should be removed.

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A photo I took of one today. Collected about 10 or so throughout the day.

DSC02858.jpg

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look very similar to reticulated cone shells. If they are, they're bad mammerjammers. They prey primarily on other snails. Some species are capable of killing a human with one sting of their poisonous dart. Unless you can definitely ID them, I'd pull them...….. carefully. When in doubt, pull it out!

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look very similar to reticulated cone shells. If they are, they're bad mammerjammers. They prey primarily on other snails. Some species are capable of killing a human with one sting of their poisonous dart. Unless you can definitely ID them, I'd pull them...….. carefully. When in doubt, pull it out!
For sure, I've collected 15 or so. Just keeping them separate until someone gives me a 100% ID.

Oldsalt01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look very similar to reticulated cone shells. If they are, they're bad mammerjammers. Primarily prey on other snails. Some species are capable of killing a human with one sting from their poisonous dart. When in doubt, pull it out. But with this one I'd be very careful, unless you can positively ID them.

Sorry. Thought the first post got lost in the ether, lol.

Jose Mayo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're not the typical whelk ... @Jose Mayo may know, he's good with snails.

~Bruce
By the shape of the shell it resembles the Columbellidae family, genus Mitrella, perhaps Mitrella turbita (there may be variation in the color pattern) ... are small snails usually associated with macroalgae and their eating habits include sponges, bryozoans and ascidians that settle in these algae such as epibionts. Some, however, develop carnivorous habits and attack bivalves and other gastropods.

57736_mitrella-turbita.jpg

Regards

OP
OP
I

Instigate

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the shape of the shell it resembles the Columbellidae family, genus Mitrella, perhaps Mitrella turbita (there may be variation in the color pattern) ... are small snails usually associated with macroalgae and their eating habits include sponges, bryozoans and ascidians that settle in these algae such as epibionts. Some, however, develop carnivorous habits and attack bivalves and other gastropods.

57736_mitrella-turbita.jpg

Regards
Thanks for the ID. That all makes sense with what I'm seeing. They tend to gather on a breeder net box I have in the tank that is accumulating a lot of algae(Still dealing with the bryopsis). I got 10 or so the first day and now it's been 1 or 2 a day. Just disposing of them now.
I believe a Long Nose Hawk will eat them.
Those guys are awesome, maybe if it becomes an issue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back