Tiny snail just showed up and I don't have any snails. Can anyone ID?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Kdub Koral Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a Nano Reef tank 2 weeks ago. A tiny snail just showed up on my glass. Anything I need to worry about?

Snail .jpg

jeffchapok

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nassarius to me. Good guys. Carnivore instead of algae eaters, but they burrow into your substrate and keep it stirred up. Mine mostly come out at night unless I drop something meaty into the tank.

Also called zombie snails because of the way they come up out of the sand to feed. Very cool to see.

You'll sometimes see their snorkel sticking up out of the sand when they are buried.

OP
OP
Kdub Koral Guy

Kdub Koral Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a nassarius to me. Good guys. Carnivore instead of algae eaters, but they burrow into your substrate and keep it stirred up. Mine mostly come out at night unless I drop something meaty into the tank.

Also called zombie snails because of the way they come up out of the sand to feed. Very cool to see.

You'll sometimes see their snorkel sticking up out of the sand when they are buried.
It must have been a hitch hiker in the cured live rock I used to start the tank. Was just concerned he was a bad guy

Soldja12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a nassarius for sure. Above dude explained its function. Its helpful

OP
OP
Kdub Koral Guy

Kdub Koral Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update on this...It was def a Nassarius snail. He is growing like crazy too lol (Notice my cheeky Emerald Crab on my GSP in the back ground. All of my bubble algae is gone. I did use 1 ML of Vibrant, which helped immediately as well, but he has finished it off

Snail update.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 36 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.1%
Back