Tiny Tank: Pico Build | Eshopps Deskmate 4.8 Gallon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your tank, nice work. I’m into Zoas and goniopora as well. I think a nice goniopora would look nice in your tank.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your tank, nice work. I’m into Zoas and goniopora as well. I think a nice goniopora would look nice in your tank.

Thank you! I have a goni ready to go in! I think I'll need to upgrade the light once I add it, so I'm holding off until I'm ready for that. :)

Landshark34

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice open scape, following along. The deskmate is such a nice little tank, I wish it could be a bit cheaper and not so close in range to a waterbox 10 or evo haha

What light are you thinking of upgrading to?

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I plan to post another update this weekend (or when time and good photos allow haha). I'm looking at the Kessil A80 and the AI Prime 16 as my two contenders. I haven't settled on which one, and it will probably be a "let me just buy one" decision when I get ready to move the goni in so that it thrives. (Absolutely open to feedback and ideas from anyone else on lighting!)

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both, the prime (old model) and the A80. I think they are both great lights. The shimmer and color are my choice for getting the Kessil. Only issue is the antiquated controller that still costs 100$:angry-face: would be just fine on a timer as well.

I was going to do the a80 and a timer but got the blade light Instead. Also, if you upgrade the Kessil isn’t very good imo for anything larger than 12” cube or so.…if that’s in the future. Great for picos though :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

good luck, can’t wait to see your choice:face-with-monocle:

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have experience with AI. The kessil has a lot of shimmer, which you already may know, what's lighting your big tank? I've heard good things about the noopsych mini if you want another option.

I do like my kessil though.

I'm leaning towards Kessil and just getting a timer, but I'm also keeping my eye out for a good deal. I kinda like the shimmer. It's for my office, so it could use some fun. :face-with-tears-of-joy: I have the Red Sea lights on my Reefer tank, and the 29 just has a cheapo smatfarm. TBH every tank could use an upgrade on lighting.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had both, the prime (old model) and the A80. I think they are both great lights. The shimmer and color are my choice for getting the Kessil. Only issue is the antiquated controller that still costs 100$:angry-face: would be just fine on a timer as well.

I was going to do the a80 and a timer but got the blade light Instead. Also, if you upgrade the Kessil isn’t very good imo for anything larger than 12” cube or so.…if that’s in the future. Great for picos though :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

good luck, can’t wait to see your choice:face-with-monocle:

Yea that dang controller for Kessil is the biggest hangup I have, too. I'd just get a timer and call it a day. I don't plan on moving the tiny tank any time in the foreseeable future. It's one of my two three (The 3rd is the QT/hospital tank, so that doesn't count haha) office tanks and they won't be upgraded any time soon. The bigger tank lives in the living room.

Heading to a Frag fest/show this weekend, so hoping to maybe score a good deal on some neat frags AND maybe a light if someone has any at their booth.

Mschmidt

Average Maybe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm leaning towards Kessil and just getting a timer, but I'm also keeping my eye out for a good deal. I kinda like the shimmer. It's for my office, so it could use some fun. :face-with-tears-of-joy: I have the Red Sea lights on my Reefer tank, and the 29 just has a cheapo smatfarm. TBH every tank could use an upgrade on lighting.
If kessil does win out, see if there is a used with a controller. Or get a bigger one with and hawk the lamp for the same price.

I'm in the camp that at this point it should be built in to the fixture. Even my freshwater cheapo lights have auto dimming scheduled.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing super new to report. No new light yet, though I do think I'll go ahead and just jump on the Kessil. Noo-Psyche Mini is out for me (for mostly personal reasons of ease of setup and customer service), and I already don't use a timer so it's no different than what I do now. (But I already have a timer for the outlet so it's no biggie to add it)

Routine maintenance Sunday, and parameters are stable. NO3 and PO4 crept up a bit, but I also skipped changing the filter sock for a couple of days, so that's on me. Did a little larger than usual change, switched out to a clean sock, and added in the goni to see how it does over the next few days.

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I managed to scratch the acrylic during routine glass cleaning today. I used the same tool I've used since I purchased this little unit, so I'm pretty upset about it. :angry-face: Goni isn't doing as well as I'd like, but not terribly surprising since I haven't upgraded the light, yet either.

20230129_180006.jpg

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Argh, That scratch is too bad... Sorry for that.

I run two Tuna Blue 80s in my 25 gallon lagoon and i finally broke down and got the controller. Honestly, I really like it. I love to ramp up and down the blues at the start and end of the day. IMHO, Worth $100 if you can spare it...

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run two Tuna Blue 80s in my 25 gallon lagoon and i finally broke down and got the controller. Honestly, I really like it. I love to ramp up and down the blues at the start and end of the day. IMHO, Worth $100 if you can spare it...

Hah, it's like you read my mind! I purchased the H80 with the controller a couple weeks ago, and plan to use the H80 for the fuge on my larger tank, but I just bit and purchased the A80 for the tiny tank! I did some tank cleaning today, scratch is still bad, but such is life. Coral growth is good, and excited to update photos tomorrow when everything opens back up. (Water change days tick everything off in the small tank lol)

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple of updated photos. Yes, the glass is dirty, and yes I'm afraid to clean it because I don't want to scratch it more lol. Does anyone have a favorite scrubber btw? But another reason I don't want to clean the glass right now is I'm having fun watching the little copepods dance around! I didn't add any pods to this tank specifically, though one of the rocks came from my other tank with pods so they likely came over with it. :D

Duncan is doing well, thriving and sprouting new heads like crazy now that it doesn't have a clownfish harassing it. The GSP is fine, but I ordered a small frag island magnet to place it on the back wall. We'll see if it takes off. Shrooms are doing well. Color isn't super bright, but I blame the lighting. Goni has good days and bad days. Today is a bad day. I'm going to move it up a bit for some better light AND I finally ordered a Kessil A80 (mentioned in my last comment), so that should help, as well!

20230223_135919.jpg

20230223_140306.jpg

OP
OP
LeannaBanana

LeannaBanana

Fishies and Frenchies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

janiktibi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

But does A80 support controller?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 131 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back