Tiny tiny crab on kp live rock

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for an id on this kind of crab. Have had this rock for 4 months and I am still find new critters all the time.

Attachments

• IMG_1746.MOV
    19.9 MB
OP
OP
Reef man 89

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Couldn’t get video to work so here some screen shots

1F7A6756-E089-42FA-A89E-47BDEBD88271.png B7757A1B-DF88-4C52-9624-106AB394292D.png 32218D2C-CA1C-4212-AF41-DBB7BBF13B7D.png

OP
OP
Reef man 89

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s part of him is keeps opening and closing it was pretty cool to watch. Wish I could of got the video to work and then you could see it in action

OP
OP
Reef man 89

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There like 2 praying mantis arms. It’s on my phone and can’t figure out how to upload it to here. Don’t have a computer

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a type of porcelain crab. Does he look similar to my little guy below? He came from some KP rock.

Edit: just realized the pic is kinda small in size. Google porcelain crab and look at the pics. They have fans they use to filter feed.

A4F7481D-2BC6-46DF-8EAC-4CB483F5B061.jpeg

OP
OP
Reef man 89

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah he was definitely going to town on the rocks. I tried looking up different species of crabs from the gulf but couldn’t find any that was similar.

OP
OP
Reef man 89

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a type of porcelain crab. Does he look similar to my little guy below? He came from some KP rock.

A4F7481D-2BC6-46DF-8EAC-4CB483F5B061.jpeg
Yea the claws look huge when tucked close to his body. When I mean he small he is tiny about half the size of a dime

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the claws look huge when tucked close to his body. When I mean he small he is tiny about half the size of a dime
My guy is 3 years in my care and only about the size of a quarter lol. He is a white porcelain crab.

Them and greens are in the gulf. There is also a red spotted one that is awesome looking.

OP
OP
Reef man 89

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green porcelain crab. Google that and compare pics. Looks a ton like one.
Yea definitely. The mouth arms are awesome and never seen that before. I look at my tank every night after lights go out and the stuff you see that you will never see when the light are on is just incredible

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its a porcelain Crab is common in many waters and has a flat, round body with two large front claws. These crabs have a pair of front arms called maxillipeds, which have ends that are feather-like in appearance. They use these appendages to filter the water for any passing food. They are peaceful and interesting invertebrates for the marine aquarium.
Porcelain Crabs live together in pairs typically found within or under rocks in nature. The ideal setting should have plenty of live rock for both hiding and feeding, and will not contain any fish or invertebrates that may bring harm as they are very peaceful invertebrates. They are reef safe, and will not harm other invertebrates or corals.
The Porcelain Crab constantly filters the water for planktonic food, but will also scavenge for larger meaty portions. Offer the crab small bits of fish, shrimp or meaty food,

OP
OP
Reef man 89

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a porcelain Crab is common in many waters and has a flat, round body with two large front claws. These crabs have a pair of front arms called maxillipeds, which have ends that are feather-like in appearance. They use these appendages to filter the water for any passing food. They are peaceful and interesting invertebrates for the marine aquarium.
Porcelain Crabs live together in pairs typically found within or under rocks in nature. The ideal setting should have plenty of live rock for both hiding and feeding, and will not contain any fish or invertebrates that may bring harm as they are very peaceful invertebrates. They are reef safe, and will not harm other invertebrates or corals.
The Porcelain Crab constantly filters the water for planktonic food, but will also scavenge for larger meaty portions. Offer the crab small bits of fish, shrimp or meaty food,
Thank you for the info on this little guy. He has 60lbs of all live rock to scavenge in. Those mexillipeds are so awesome to watch. I hope he has a friend in there somewhere.
thank you again

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea definitely. The mouth arms are awesome and never seen that before. I look at my tank every night after lights go out and the stuff you see that you will never see when the light are on is just incredible
You will find all kinds of things. I get KP rock a few times a year and have gotten loads of things. I do qt my rock and set traps, but nothing gets killed. It just may not go in the tank I want to put the rock in lol.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back