Tiny tube dwellers

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On one part of my rock i have several tiny creatures living in tubes. I'll maybe add a picture later if a get a good one but these are absolutely tiny.

They live in a tube that when they retract into it closes up slightly that makes me think it is some kind of leathery or mucus bound material.

When they are sitting at the entrance, the "head" is maybe half a millimeter wide and protrudes a millimeter or two from the tube. They have 4 "tentacles" or arms protruding from the head in the orientation of a slightly squished "K", that are articulated and can individually bend unto themselves towards what i assume is the mouth. There are other moving parts in that mouth area but they are just too tiny to see if they are arms or mandibles or something else. I have no idea how long the tubes are or how long the animals in the tubes are, the rock they are on is positioned such that i can only really see the openings of the tubes from under an overhang.

They usually sit at the entrance to their tubes, and from time to time very quickly extend out of the tube for a few more millimeters, grab something, and retract.

From their movements i'd almost say that they are a microscopic tube dwelling amphipod but since i can only really see their heads they might also be some worm.

I am not all too concerned about them posing any danger, they seem to eat tiny particles and a mysis shrimp is absolutely massive in comparison, i am just interested in what they are.

OP
OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know how a feather duster looks like, a feather duster has dozens of "tentacles", these have 4, and their tentacles have joints.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without a pic, it’s impossible to say. So I’ll throw a wild guess based on your description: sea cucumber. they come in many different colors and each one different.
5B20E399-55EC-4935-847B-573972962AFD.jpeg

OP
OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1602775776317.png

Here are two. The dark line is not actually their tube, that's a piece of chaetomorpha.

Heres a video, hope it works:

OP
OP
E

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noone got any ideas about the picture/video? Don't think it's a sea cucumber. If they weren't in exactly the same holes with exactly the same behaviour as a month and two months ago, i'd say they were hiding pods of some kind, but they never leave their holes completely only extend and retract in the blink of an eye to catch stuff now and then.

Fmelindy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some type of barnacle to me. Could be wrong and that is just a guess but that's what it looks like to me.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back