Tiny White Critter ID

Qantos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Can anyone ID this little guy for me? Found him and one other on my glass this morning. They are only a few mm in length. I've never seen them before.

Thanks!

IMG_20201120_132648.jpg

OP
OP
Q

Qantos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that explains why my Monti is dying. Ugh.... Thanks guys. Any experience you can share on the best way to eliminate them?

Look what it did to my purple Monti. This coral was growing fast for a couple months and then started dying out of nowhere. I thought it was a chemistry issue but all other corals are fine.

Attachments

• IMG_20201120_134425.jpg
    IMG_20201120_134425.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 32

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that explains it and I'm sorry that you are going to have to deal with this. I ended up running a monti-free reef tank for a year because I was so disgusted with the losses. There are plenty of threads on how to best deal with them but almost anything that's attached to rockwork and can't be removed for a dip is going to have a hard time making it through.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have an extensive monti collection, I would just toss them all and wait it out before you try again. They'll die if they don't have anything to eat.

OP
OP
Q

Qantos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a lot of monti frags right now so at least I won't have to watch a large colony slowly die... dang this sucks though.

Do you think a wrasse would help or should I just cut my losses?

I've been working hard to keep my parameters really stable with this tank to provide optimal conditions for SPS. Of course it would be a parasite that comes in and wipes everything out lol.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a separate tank, I'd isolate all montis in it and dip, dip and dip them. Yellow coris wrasse & melanarus wrasse are two that will go after them along with a few other types that I don't have experience with. When I had the issue, I fired up a 20g tank with light and and dipped with Revive. The problem is that nothing really kills the eggs so you have to do it quite a lot to make sure you can break the reproductive cycle.

If you don't have another tank you can set up, I'd get a wrasse and start dipping. Worse case all of your montis die. It's certainly worth a shot in my opinion. The problem with this approach is that you can never be sure they're all gone. It's nerve wracking. Some folks have great luck with predators and the problem goes away.

Justin Cook

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Qantos - Feel free to DM if you have any questions that you don't find addressed in the threads. R2R was a great resource when I was dealing with them and if there's any way I can help, don't hesitate to reach out.

pathakm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Can anyone ID this little guy for me? Found him and one other on my glass this morning. They are only a few mm in length. I've never seen them before.

Thanks!

IMG_20201120_132648.jpg
That does look like Montipora eating Nudi. Really bad and will feed on your Montipora. I had these in my tank and I just daily sucked them up from my montis till i didn't anymore but I'm still on the lookout for these. If you look closely at your monti (typically on the underside, you will see these feeding. Totally agree with what Justin suggests. I also got a six line wrasse and I see it hovering around the montis sometimes and I'm hoping it is eating these nasty critters. The eggs are the worst to deal with to be honest because when you think you are done getting rid of them, the next batch shows up. Good luck man!

OP
OP
Q

Qantos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really appreciate all the support guys. Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank but I'm going to start dipping all my Monti frags every three days and see if I can find a six line wrasse to do a bit of damage control around the clock.

So far they've only destroyed the one frag so I'll do my best to save the rest. Am I right in thinking my acros are safe or should I dip those as well? Also do you guys recommend Coral RX or is there something better for this specific pest? Thanks again!

ReefBridge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This isn’t the best solution as it will reduce flow, but you can get a breeder box to at least keep the nudis away from the frags. Breeder boxes are about $10 on Amazon.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 69 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back