Tiny white dots on glass... eggs?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed these white dots on my glass a couple days ago... I have a bad feeling they are eggs hatching nasty beasties into my tank. They appear to be releasing small brown something...

20210320_214153.jpg

20210320_213713.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tiny dots are spirobid worms. Simply use edge of a credit card and scrape off into a net and discard.
Bottom ones are casings from tube worms. Removal is the same for spirobids

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081,​

I don't think this is a correct diagnosis. I am not seeing the distinct spiral structure, nor am I seeing the feather duster heads.

Was in the fish shop today and they have what is clearly spirobid worms on the glass in a couple of their tanks, but the white dots in my tank do not resemble that at all... they are smaller and undefined in their shape. Further, they do not seem to be growing any larger. they are there, release the brown whateveres and then are gone in a few days.

Any other ideas?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely look like eggs and they also clearly seem to be hatching into these strands but what it is...? Almost seems like a coral or gorgonian, but then the picture isn't clear. Do they move around? Are they a bunch of fragments like it looks in the picture or do they have a definitive shape?

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They definitely look like eggs and they also clearly seem to be hatching into these strands but what it is...? Almost seems like a coral or gorgonian, but then the picture isn't clear. Do they move around? Are they a bunch of fragments like it looks in the picture or do they have a definitive shape?

There are no corals in this tank... This is a new setup that will be a FOWLR system.

Let me give you some background... I had an existing 55G FW tank that I intended to become my new reef. Found a fantastic deal on a 120G reef ready setup on CL (turned out to be a 175G bowfront.. Bonus for me!!) Seller included 3 buckets of sand from the tank and I used 1 of them in the 55. There was a bit of an off smell that I didn't notice till I actually was dumping the sand into the tank.. Opps.. too late now. I ran the tank empty for a couple days, did a major water change to mitigate the possible nastiness from the sand and ran it empty for the next 10 days... the dots started appearing about a week or so before the first date of this thread.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look very worm like and the most common thing to be spawning out of sand like that would be bristleworms or fireworms maybe spaghetti worms. But yeah do you see them moving or have a better picture?

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look very worm like and the most common thing to be spawning out of sand like that would be bristleworms or fireworms maybe spaghetti worms. But yeah do you see them moving or have a better picture?

The dots do not move and, unfortunately, these were the best pictures I could get.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed these white dots on my glass a couple days ago... I have a bad feeling they are eggs hatching nasty beasties into my tank. They appear to be releasing small brown something...

20210320_214153.jpg

20210320_213713.jpg
in my tank I’ve had same as first pic and I think they are pods that have died on the glass. Sometimes they get fuzzy just like yours

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the string like stuff coming out of them? Fordtech's theory makes sense for sure, could be worms coming to savage the dead pods and you would be expecting more dying than spawning happening in the sand rn.

OP
OP
Jedi1199

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about the string like stuff coming out of them? Fordtech's theory makes sense for sure, could be worms coming to savage the dead pods and you would be expecting more dying than spawning happening in the sand rn.

That is a good question. I don't know where the stringy stuff is going. I don't see any new growth that I would relate to those things. I suspect worms are the correct diagnosis, but what worms? Based on observation of my own tank, and what I saw today, I believe we can rule out spionid, but I'm not experienced enough to make that a definite conclusion.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good question. I don't know where the stringy stuff is going. I don't see any new growth that I would relate to those things. I suspect worms are the correct diagnosis, but what worms? Based on observation of my own tank, and what I saw today, I believe we can rule out spionid, but I'm not experienced enough to make that a definite conclusion.
First pic I would call dead pods rotting on glass second pic I would agree with @vetteguy53081 with spirobid worms

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back