Tiny white object on caudal fin of Foxface

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started quarantine on a ~3” Foxface from LFS on Jan 7th (Will call this Day 0). On Day 5 I noticed a speck of something at the edge of his tail fin (first photo). It was there for atleast 5 days, maybe a few days longer, then it was gone. I assumed it was just a piece of leftover food or some piece of debris. Fast forward to yesterday (Day ~28), and I see a similar spot (remaining photos, the glass is not very clean, there are no other spots on the fish). He went through 14 days of copper power at 2.5ppm (then tank transferred to a sterile tank), and had his first prazipro treatment 7 days ago, and 2nd prazipro treatment yesterday. My first rabbit fish, but behavior seems normal. Easily scared and skittish, but also begs for food like a dog every time the fish sees you across the room. Is the speck anything to be concerned about? My best guess is that it’s a piece of food or might be a very mild case of Lymphocystis. Thanks so much!

D75377F0-4DB6-4D92-BACD-62663815EF46.jpeg E4B3A743-6C2E-4CE7-9AF6-BD0F72FDF805.jpeg B1A5C333-57B8-4D12-B5A7-9F7EB3AA7D5B.jpeg 490C5AEF-EB42-4B51-9D39-CE3E7125D0C7.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I started quarantine on a ~3” Foxface from LFS on Jan 7th (Will call this Day 0). On Day 5 I noticed a speck of something at the edge of his tail fin (first photo). It was there for atleast 5 days, maybe a few days longer, then it was gone. I assumed it was just a piece of leftover food or some piece of debris. Fast forward to yesterday (Day ~28), and I see a similar spot (remaining photos, the glass is not very clean, there are no other spots on the fish). He went through 14 days of copper power at 2.5ppm (then tank transferred to a sterile tank), and had his first prazipro treatment 7 days ago, and 2nd prazipro treatment yesterday. My first rabbit fish, but behavior seems normal. Easily scared and skittish, but also begs for food like a dog every time the fish sees you across the room. Is the speck anything to be concerned about? My best guess is that it’s a piece of food or might be a very mild case of Lymphocystis. Thanks so much!

D75377F0-4DB6-4D92-BACD-62663815EF46.jpeg E4B3A743-6C2E-4CE7-9AF6-BD0F72FDF805.jpeg B1A5C333-57B8-4D12-B5A7-9F7EB3AA7D5B.jpeg 490C5AEF-EB42-4B51-9D39-CE3E7125D0C7.jpeg
These fish are easily spooked and are susceptible to lymphocystis which is viral and often associated with water quality or diet. With fresh tank water, likely fell off which it does on its own. Assure good diet as this is not a flake and pellet fish.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are easily spooked and are susceptible to lyhocystis which is viral and often associated with water quality or diet. With fresh tank water, likely fell off which it does on its own. Assure good diet as this is not a flake and pellet fish.
Question on the good diet. Do you consider seaweed extreme pellets to be a good quality food for the fox face? He’s eating pretty much everything (frozen spirulina brine, mysis, rods, and various pellets), but strangely wasn’t that interested in the seaweed sheet.

Also, should I extend quarantine due to the lyphocystis? I have a couple firefish and anthias in the display as well as a tiny captive bred regal angel.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Question on the good diet. Do you consider seaweed extreme pellets to be a good quality food for the fox face? He’s eating pretty much everything (frozen spirulina brine, mysis, rods, and various pellets), but strangely wasn’t that interested in the seaweed sheet.

Also, should I extend quarantine due to the lyphocystis? I have a couple firefish and anthias in the display as well as a tiny captive bred regal angel.
Seaweed pellets very good and bite size. Give it a mixture of what you have 2 or 3 different items

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lymphocystis to me.

As a side note, the minimum run for copper power should be at least 21 days and 30 is the norm.

Jay

OP
OP
T

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lymphocystis to me.

As a side note, the minimum run for copper power should be at least 21 days and 30 is the norm.

Jay
After the 14 days in copper power the fish were transferred into a new sterile tank with separate equipment. My understanding (following advice from Elliott of Marine Collectors and Humble.fish) is that this is enough for Ich & Velvet.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the 14 days in copper power the fish were transferred into a new sterile tank with separate equipment. My understanding (following advice from Elliott of Marine Collectors and Humble.fish) is that this is enough for Ich & Velvet.
Nope - not as safe as 30 days. The life cycle of these parasites is just not as cut and dry as some people think, plus amine based copper products are very mild and slow to cure.
Ionic copper can be run for as short as 14 days, but 21 is safer.
The is just no compelling reason to shorten up amine based copper treatments.

Jay

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
seaweed extreme pellets to be a good quality food for the fox face
No.

You want to avoid pellets. Please read thru Fish Nutrition post. The Foxface should eat dried seaweed or nori everyday. Then a meaty food -- even one containing some marine algae mixed in for another feeding. Feed as often as possible. Use the supplements recommended. Check out that post. :)

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why avoid pellets? Premium pellets like NLS and Mazuri can form a complete diet. Millions of fish are raised solely on pellets in aquaculture.
Roasted Nori - which is what people usually buy, is an awful, unnatural “food”. Air dried algae, like from Sprung’s Two Little Fishies company are better.
Small foxface are more plankton pickers anyway.
Remember, this fish is in quarantine, dietary issues take time to develop, the immediate need here is treating possible diseases and diet can be as simple as just ensuring sufficient caloric intake.

Jay

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why avoid pellets? Premium pellets like NLS and Mazuri can form a complete diet. Millions of fish are raised solely on pellets in aquaculture.
Roasted Nori - which is what people usually buy, is an awful, unnatural “food”. Air dried algae, like from Sprung’s Two Little Fishies company are better.
Small foxface are more plankton pickers anyway.
Remember, this fish is in quarantine, dietary issues take time to develop, the immediate need here is treating possible diseases and diet can be as simple as just ensuring sufficient caloric intake.

Jay
If you read my post, you'll find that I only recommend air or sun-dried Nori. The roasted kind is not to be used.

I don't agree with adding wheat and soy products to the fish's diet. Remember, my position is to avoid. Again, if you read my nutrition post, you'll find photos of preferred pellets. I've fed pellets and flakes to my fish up to three times for every 21 feedings. I don't make it a regular diet when 'better' foods are available. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Herbivores which I have 23 don't rely strictly on seaweed and im with jay on seaweed type- I use strictly ocean nutrition brand and Julian sprung as roasting process often involves chemicals. Tangs however will eat any seaweed type offered to them. In your nutrition post you mention that Foxface are members of the tang family?? They are members of the rabbitfish group.
Problem today with diet Vs, 25 years ago is that many LFS are suggesting the wrong foods when a person purchases a fish. The supplements you mention I think are ignored by many until their fish become thin, have HLLE and such.

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbivores which I have 23 don't rely strictly on seaweed and im with jay on seaweed type- I use strictly ocean nutrition brand and Julian sprung as roasting process often involves chemicals. Tangs however will eat any seaweed type offered to them. In your nutrition post you mention that Foxface are members of the tang family?? They are members of the rabbitfish group.
Problem today with diet Vs, 25 years ago is that many LFS are suggesting the wrong foods when a person purchases a fish. The supplements you mention I think are ignored by many until their fish become thin, have HLLE and such.
Thank you for the correction. :) I have a computer version where the Foxface-Tang matter was changed. It is difficult to update a post on R2R, but I will try again.

25+ years ago some LFSs were still suggesting to feed Romaine lettuce to Tangs. :eek: Now there are many dried seaweeds available, but the buyer still needs to read the fine print.

Yes. It's one of challenges in the hobby -- getting info to the hobbyist on paying attention to good nutrition before things go wrong. So much emphasis is placed on water quality, which is as it should be, but equal time needs to given to fish nutrition and reducing stressors.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
T

TeeJay87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HLLE in rabbitfish/foxface is very rare, and when seen, is shows as just slightly enlarged nasal pores. The picture isn't clear enough to see that though.

Jay
Thank you! In that picture there is a clear line from front to back across the top 1/3 of the fish‘s body. Wasn’t sure if that was cause for concern.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! In that picture there is a clear line from front to back across the top 1/3 of the fish‘s body. Wasn’t sure if that was cause for concern.
That is the fish’s natural lateral line.
Jay

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back