Tiny white/translucent tentacled tubes on live rock

MarkyMark_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, I am a brand new reefer and have just set up my first reef tank (WB Cube 20). I picked up some live rock from a local reefer to help seed the tank and after a couple days I have noticed there are these tiny white, translucent fans/tentacles sprouting out of tubes stuck to some of the rock (about 1-3mm in length). I have been searching high and low for a definitive answer as to what they are. I have a hunch they are some form of hydroid, although I really hope not. I stuck a clothes hanger in my tank to prod them and the tentacled portion closes up when touched then immediately re-opens. If they are indeed some type of pest what are my options? As of right now I have no livestock in my tank. Attached are a couple pictures, I did the best I could given the size of these things. Thank you for you time!
DSCF4046 (2).jpg
DSCF4046_1.jpg

Last edited:

Rubymoon286

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 for Aiptasia - if aiptasia x doesn't do it, you can inject kalk or lemon juice into the foot. At this size, I usually have success with aipasia x

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appear to be hydroids.

We went through some discussions here that went back and forth between hydroids and aiptasia. Feel free to browse this thread and check out all the threads that were linked in there.

OP
OP
MarkyMark_

MarkyMark_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have another piece of rock that is covered in these. A least 2 dozen of them on a 2lb rock. Is it feasible to spot kill every single tiny aiptasia in this manner or do I have other options?

EDIT: Looks like the verdict is still out on what these are

Ntimm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aiptasia. A few peppermint shrimp should take care of it.

OP
OP
MarkyMark_

MarkyMark_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a mixed consensus. I have been looking into peppermint shrimp as a potential solution. Does anyone have experience using this method?

Mterry9239

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 aiptasia. Had these very things on live rock and 2 pieces of coral. Bought aiptasia x, dosed according to instructions and bye bye. That stuff worked great for me. Best to catch them small before they become very hardy and take over

OP
OP
MarkyMark_

MarkyMark_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still after many days I don't have a definite answer as to what these are they don't seem to be spreading although the aren't dieing. Seeing as I have no livestock in my tank, I have been considering raising the temperature drastically to kill everything in the tank(minus bacteria which I read can be fine all the way up to 100 degrees)

Can anyone with more experience tell me if this would work or if I should avoid such drastic measures. Hopefully #reefsquad can help!

Last edited:

MohrReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still after many days I don't have a definite answer as to what these are they don't seem to be spreading although the aren't dieing. Seeing as I have no livestock in my tank, I have been considering raising the temperature drastically to kill everything in the tank(minus bacteria which I read can be fine all the way up to 100 degrees)

Can anyone with more experience tell me if this would work or if I should avoid such drastic measures. Hopefully #reefsquad can help!
If its droids theyll clear up on their own iirc. I just got rid of so much aiptasia in my tank that I can pick that stuff out no problem. My vote stands on hydroids.

Either way, the solution will not be increasing your tank temp. Thats very drastic and probably unnecessary.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe it’s Aiptasia and as small as they are it won’t be a problem for a while if it turns out to be a problem at all. It could be filter feeders in the live rock. No need to worry about something that is not causing problems yet. Live rock will have more critters than that. If you’re that worried, just pull it and start with dry rock.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back