TinyChocobo’s Red Sea Reefer XL 425

Discussion in 'Member Tanks' started by TinyChocobo, Feb 23, 2018.

1. TinyChocobo

TinyChocobo Well-Known Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

The Anemone the other day made his way into one of the vortech pumps. I think I got here in time as he wasn't cut/hurt by the pump blades and I turned the pumps off and got him out. He was totally deflated and sad looking.

I moved him to the live rock and left the flow off until he attached. Now he's got his foot well into the rock and is puffed up and looking good. I get the feeling he won't be moving anywhere anytime in the near future.

I also added a Blue Spotted Puffer, a Blue Streak Cleaning Wrasse, and two Yellow Tangs. The tank is heavily stocked but everybody has a hiding hole and room to swim. The plan is honestly to get a much larger tank within the next 12 to 24 months - I'm thinking on the order of 250~300 gallons.

I built a temporary chaeto reactor to help keep nutrients in-check. The light is a grow bulb - but I have a Skimz MBR157 coming that I will put inside the sump and will use it's built in lighting.

Reactor.jpeg

Reefer Deez and najer like this.

2. TinyChocobo

Puffer and Tang
    IMG_7643.JPG

Puffer
    IMG_7641.JPG

Blue streak cleaning wrasse in 'time out'.
    IMG_7636.JPG

IMG_7637.JPG

Reefer Deez, Ludders and najer like this.
  3. TinyChocobo

It turns out my Apex temperature probe was mis-calibrated and reading about 1.5 degrees F higher than it should have.

Reefer Deez likes this.
  4. TinyChocobo

5 of my 8 clown fish have totally disappeared. Nothing else seems to have gone missing. 1 clown I did find stuck to one of the vortech pumps but the other 4 are totally MIA.

I haven’t had any spikes in nutrients and there are no dead fish on the floor.

I have 2 Yellow Tangs, a red hawk fish, a cleaner wrasse, and a blue spotted puffer.

The hawk fish is eating frozen mysis as well as flake food with the rest of my fish but he is the only suspect I have right now.

The rock is all dry rock from BRS so I don’t think I have any hitchhikers.

Reefer Deez likes this.
  5. TinyChocobo

I was looking at ordering an AquaUV 57Watt through @MarineDepot but after discussing my needs with MarineDepot and AquaUV - I believe I'll be putting a 25 Watt unit on the system. At my normal turnover rate on my return line it should help keep the water clear and most baddies at bay and if I have a case of Ich I can drop the return down to 400 GPH and it will also irradiate ICH while still maintaining 4.5 times turn-over per hour.

Reefer Deez likes this.
  6. Reefer Deez

Reefer Deez Reef junkie R2R Supporter Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Sorry to hear about the clowns Do you have any full front rank shots to share?

7. TinyChocobo

I do but they're all very blue and hard to see. I'm going to set up my nice camera tomorrow and try to get a good shot of it.

Currently I have 3 Clowns, 7 Green Chromis, Two Yellow Tangs, A Red Hawkfish, A Long Spine Urchin, a Pincushion Urchin, and One/Two Anemones. He has two mouths and small tentacles between those mouths - but seems to be taking his sweet time splitting :p.

I lost the puffer as well - I don't know what happened to him - he was acting totally normally and swimming around being his usual ham - and then WHAM he was being devoured by the urchins.

My yellow tangs destroy the nori I put in the tank and are also eating frozen mysis which surpises me a bit.

Reefer Deez likes this.
  8. Zotch

Zotch Member Partner Member 2018

Did you setup the tank and 2 days later add 8 clowns and an anem? You seem to be losing way to many fish and I think you are moving ahead way too fast.

Reefer Deez likes this.
  9. TinyChocobo

I had just set up the display tank - yes - but I had live rock running in a 40 Gallon breeder for a long time before it was added to the tank. The cycle was long over. I didn't go into details about it because it was far from glamorous :). I even had my MarinePure blocks in the 40G Breeder so that they would get colonized.

Reefer Deez likes this.
  10. TinyChocobo

I've been reefing for years - although this setup is new/young. I honestly am not sure why I lost the fish I lost - I really can't explain it. I've never had that happen before and I could find nothing wrong with my parameters. I made sure my cycle was complete before I added anything and I watched for ammonia when I added my fish.

Yes - I added a lot of fish fast - I won't dispute that - but I was watching very closely so that I could react quickly to any issues that arise - but I literally saw no issues arise with the parameters.

I just went from having X fish to Y fish overnight - and found no corpses - no ammonia spikes, nothing ... it was really just like something in the tank was killing my fish.

I did find a nasty looking 'worm' of some kind floating on the surface not too long ago - I took a picture of it but my phone ate it :(. At any rate - I've lost nothing beyond that puffer in a while and everything seems to be doing fine. My nutrients and ammonia have been good. I've honestly been baffled.

11. TinyChocobo

Oops :).

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  12. TinyChocobo

So I have been dealing with a chrysophyte bloom. Some details in this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/half-of-my-aquarium-looks-good-the-other-half-i’m-not-sure.373980/

I had a LOT of them mostly covering one smaller rock in the back - it was/is almost completely covered in what looks like brown slime with long stringy parts reaching up towards the top of the tank...

I just went to take a picture of it - and my pincushion urchin is there - and a good portion of the chrysophytes appear to be gone...

I do have a fair bit of red cyano on my rocks now as well - but as this is a new tank I'm probably just going to scrub some of it off when I siphon for a water change here in a few days. I only have one coral in the tank and it looks healthy and colorful so I'm not really worried at this point about anything.

Draft saved Draft deleted