Tips and tricks to help grow corals

LeDart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello there, I am new to the hobby (been in it for 8 months). I have a RS 200xl, and was wondering what tips and tricks y'all have for growing and sustaining corals. I am currently battling dinos, however my parameters are stable.
My parameters are:

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 8
Ph: 8.2

Thank you for reading, and have a great day!

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there, I am new to the hobby (been in it for 8 months). I have a RS 200xl, and was wondering what tips and tricks y'all have for growing and sustaining corals. I am currently battling dinos, however my parameters are stable.
My parameters are:

Those good, but what about phosphate, CA, MG and Alk?
Dinos must be rid first, many in numbers, care toxic to corals.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have testers for any of those, though I am probably going to buy them today.
You’ll need those.
Hanna makes a great Alk checker, and Phosphorus Checker
Salifert good for MG and CA.
Aquaforest good as well.

You need to get all of these both in the traditional ranges and keep them there with as little daily change as possible, especially ALK.

Make your reef tank parameters numbers equal your salt mix numbers so water changes aid in stability.

Stability is king! When you can get the least possible daily flux on all, all corals do very well.

caller89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My parameters are:

Dinos is just part of the maturing process however need to be kept under control , I would check your Phosphates.

Have you had dinos from your cycling ?

@Uncle99 is correct you need to be looking at your Cg, Mg & KH, everything needs to be in balance to give your corals the best parameters to grow.

Below is what I run my tank at.

Salinity - 1.026
Temperature - 25.5degc
PH - 8.1 - 8.2
KH - 8dKH
Cg - 420
Mg - 1360
Nitrates - 2 - 5ppm
Phosphate - 0.05 - 0.08ppm
Lighting - 75 PAR (lower) 250 PAR (higher)

I test using Hanna Marine Master once a week otherthan than Phosphates and nitrates which is tested twice a week.

My KH is tested every 2hours via KH Keeper Pro

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The key to growing and maintaining healthy coral colonies is to ditch unrealistic expectations. Some time ago, I realized that, while I love my tanks, I'm pretty bad at keeping parameters stable, and would rather have fish than coral in any case. With that in mind, I populate my tanks with softies and hardy LPS, many of which are quite happy without daily (or monthly) water tests, and I live nicely without the added stress of worrying about whether or not I should dose magnesium and iodine. I say forget about acro and go for a nice frag of Grube's gorgonian! You can always try for finicky SPS later.

Back