Tips for buying from other hobbyists: What do you look for?

BRS

How often do you buy coral from other hobbyists?

• Very Often

Votes: 119 23.3%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 177 34.6%
  • Very Rare

Votes: 93 18.2%
  • Never

Votes: 107 20.9%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 2.9%

• Total voters

Derrick0580

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Cost. Is it worth the risk for potential hitchhikers or should I go to the store where it'll be virtually zero pests. Sometimes though, some corals and fish hobbyists offer are significantly cheaper than the store and are hard deals to pass up.
My lfs doesn’t dip their corals, I’d almost feel safer getting frags from a hobbyist than a store because chance are they have done their due diligence and dipped the coral or at least had it long enough if there were hitch hikers they would know about them.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I have purchased a number of corals from R2R members. I'll look at their history, how long have they been a member, number of posts, check feedback from other members, etc. Pictures with of the frag and mother colony are very helpful in determining whether I'll purchase. So far, three or four different members have provided good, honest acropora frags. Today, I saw another member with some really nice frags for sale with detailed pics, great prices and good feedback from other R2R members. A $200 frag can be had for half of that price after it has been propagated by fellow reefers. Do your research and you can get some really good deals.

BRS

How close to perfect, for you, is your reef aquarium?

• IT'S PERFECT NOW

Votes: 10 4.1%
  • It's getting close

Votes: 37 15.2%
  • It's about half way there

Votes: 47 19.3%
  • It's slow but progressing

Votes: 72 29.6%
  • It's not even close

Votes: 70 28.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 7 2.9%