Tips for getting rid of green hair algae?

Theulli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

I’ve been having issues with green hair algae in my system. I have a phosphate reactor and a skimmer in my sump that work fine but the green hair algae is taking over. I’ve removed it by hand several times and I’ve tried dosing it with algae remover but that doesn’t help either. It has been going on for a couple of months now. My phosphate levels are low and I shouldn’t have an excess in nutrients. I have a pretty good amount of flow throughout most of the tank but it still grows even as I take it out. Phosphates are sitting at .02 ppm. I have a good cleanup crew too but I’m thinking about investing in an algae blenny to help get it curbed. Thanks for any advice.

I actually don't dislike my GHA. I have several emerald crabs that hang out in it and keep it under control.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I basically decided to expand upon my cleanup crew and add in a few more Mexican turbo snails. They cleared the setup of excess algae within a few days. It looks spotless now. I handed a couple of them over to a friend once they got the majority of it removed.
While this helps with control, you still want to determine cause+ and diminish.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I basically decided to expand upon my cleanup crew and add in a few more Mexican turbo snails. They cleared the setup of excess algae within a few days. It looks spotless now. I handed a couple of them over to a friend once they got the majority of it removed.
Mexican turbos are amazing

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mexican turbos are amazing

Zebra turbos are also pretty awesome. I have one in my tank, started about the size of a gum ball, is currently about the size of a baseball. It's always a fun game to try and find him, he's surprisingly good at hiding for something so massive.

Singspot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks, I read about BRS product description and it says "Note: Not effective against hair or other turf style algae." .....

Can Chemiclean be used right after Reef Flux without any over stress to Nems/ Goni/ Fishes?

Dozing says 1 cap per 10G ... I need to put 28 capsule for each round of doze!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks, I read about BRS product description and it says "Note: Not effective against hair or other turf style algae." .....

Can Chemiclean be used right after Reef Flux without any over stress to Nems/ Goni/ Fishes?

Dozing says 1 cap per 10G ... I need to put 28 capsule for each round of doze!!!
Reef flux can help or hurt system and chemiclean is for cyano- not algae

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Note: Not effective against hair or other turf style algae."
It actually works great against hair algae
Yes it can for LPS tanks. Have usede both at same time, multiple times, over the years and never lost anything to it.

Fluconazole has been great the last decade, and chemi clean I have used almost 30 years of use.

right now using vibrant and just switched to its equivalent and its kept my tank clean for a year now. And it was a problem tank with an old sand bed.

aggrofish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an acclimated sailfin molly last Saturday, does not touch algae, just waits to be fed.
I bought some coral off a local reefer last week and he says hey you want this Molly? Uh sure why not. what a depressing little fish. It just sits in the back of the tank blending in with the background. It would take 20+ to make a dent in GHA. it does eat a lot of whatever I put in the tank for such a small fish. If there was GHA at the water surface maybe it would do something

MoreReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that really truly made a difference in algae and cyano for me was using some chemipure elite... been running it since. I'll change it out every 2 months... nothing browned out either or lost color either.

Hallowhead

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing that really truly made a difference in algae and cyano for me was using some chemipure elite... been running it since. I'll change it out every 2 months... nothing browned out either or lost color either.
I am not sure how the elite helped, I know it helps reduce phosphates very minimally.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience for a algae free display:
Scarlet hermits and the largest turbo and astrea snails you can find (I have a zebra and a Mexican turbo).

If your tank is big enough, yellow tang. I take GHA tufts from my sump and add to the display for my tang to eat.
I know it’s all from my algae eaters because my display has no algae but my in-sump frag tank has plenty algae where the hermits can’t reach.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back