tips on how to get a RBTA out of a crevice

reefriot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i set up a 60g by combining 2 of my nanos together and my frag tank from garage(15 degree outside=high heat bill). just picked up a pair of black and whites and my RBTA in my 150 split about 2 months ago when i switched out a MH bulb. my problem is there foot is way down in the crevices of this huge peice of branching tonga rock. ive already decided to remove the rock from the tank not alot of coral on it as the large female tomatoe always flips anything i put up there to the sand. think a quick freshwater dip might make them break loose or just shrink into the rock.worst case im gonna break a chunk of the rock loose just trying to avoid it since its a nice peice.

gfox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's pretty hard to get a anemone out of live rock.Some say point a powerhead at the foot or turn it upside down over a bucket of water.Probably the best way so you don't damage the nem is to break the rock it's on.

1fishmonger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspend the rock upside down with the bta just barely touching the water. Sometimes they'll fall right off but at the least, they should loosen their foot from the rock. You should be able to pick carefully at its foot and peel it back sort of like masking tape. Just go slow and be careful. If the foot is inaccessible...Well, good luck...

Others have used power heads, ice cubes etc but I've never had success with these.

porschetins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RBTA splits off every couple months as well. it can be very frustrating trying to remove them. i have had success with the power head method but it takes a lot of patience and only works if the foot if fully accessible. Even if you have 90% of their foot peeled off and you take the powerhead off of them for a second they will immediately re attach. I just break the chunk of rock off now

Aqua fire/medic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, try the powerhead method first before attempting anything else. It could take a couple of days to work.

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had luck using a very thin flat dentist tool and lift the corners up little by little. Once is lifted enough I use my finger to remove the rest. I've use this method with bubble, rock and tube anemones.

Ladipyg

Saltwater Diva
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be really careful splitting the rock. You could seriously injure the nem's foot...it could be somewhere other than you think it is, especially if you can't see it. I have had a lot of luck holding the nem upside down with the head touching the water and the foot dry. It usually releases pretty quickly.

andip3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
trying to get an anemone out of where they want to be can be very time consuming lol I also hold the nem upside down out of the water then try rubbing the foot but they can hold on out of the water for a long time

SmokeyCFH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a carpet in a place we couldn't move it, at my LFS. So we just put the powerhead blowing on it til it decided to move on its on...I guess we kind of made it uncomfortable enough to make it move to where we wanted it, then we were able to remove the unsightly rock is was originally attached to.

vulteiv1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put a power head next to the rock where the nem is. It usually just move on it's own after a few days.

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Necro thread, but I wanted to post that I removed a bubble tip using a turkey baster initially to tick it off, and then gently use the bristled end of a toothbrush to (gently, I hope!) remove the foot. The toothbrush part was very quick. FYI, and my thanks to other posters who mentioned both the turkey baster and the toothbrush tricks (as well as the powerhead and "block the light so it wants to move" tricks)

jerburton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would adjust the rock a bit so the light and flow was altered. This will likely promote some movement or adjustment from the anemone. Then, as others have mentioned, remove the rock and hold it over a body of tank water where you can begin massaging the foot. Personally, I have great success with the ice cube technique. You just need it to release a little bit and then you can get your fingers in to slowly work it loose. Best of luck!

Orm Embar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I would adjust the rock a bit so the light and flow was altered. This will likely promote some movement or adjustment from the anemone. Then, as others have mentioned, remove the rock and hold it over a body of tank water where you can begin massaging the foot. Personally, I have great success with the ice cube technique. You just need it to release a little bit and then you can get your fingers in to slowly work it loose. Best of luck!

I haven't tried the ice cube trick (I assum that you use RO/DI or tank water to freeze for the ice cube); the last time I tried the powerhead/gently use fingernails trick it took quite a while as I was afraid of tearing the foot (and this was on the tank back, so it should have been as easy as it gets) and it seemed to take forever. I'll see about the ice cube one next time. Thanks!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back