Tips on Putting the Gold Back in my Gold Torch

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone had any tips and tricks to get the gold color back in my Gold Torch. It's looking more like a plated gold torch with the plating coming off :confused:

It acts healthy and receives food like a champ. I may have had it under too much light but I recently toned down my settings a bit so if that is the issue, I may have already fixed it haha

Any tips or tricks to get better coloration in it or euphyllias in general are greatly appreciated :)

Current Pic:

20181125_173538.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone had any tips and tricks to get the gold color back in my Gold Torch. It's looking more like a plated gold torch with the plating coming off :confused:

It acts healthy and receives food like a champ. I may have had it under too much light but I recently toned down my settings a bit so if that is the issue, I may have already fixed it haha

Any tips or tricks to get better coloration in it or euphyllias in general are greatly appreciated :)

Current Pic:

20181125_173538.jpg

How long have you had it? Any idea what spectrum it was under before you got it?

What's your water pramameters?

Elevated N03 and or P04 could change it's color, so could a shift in spectrum.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good like mine. Very healthy but yea I have seen some crazy gold Aussie torches I would love that color in mine. Have you looked at it under more white lights? Does the gold come out more?
IMG_2520.JPG

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to put mine in very low lighting because of room issues and it has lost almost all of the gold/orange. It has grown 3 new heads and really stretches out and looks healthy. I’m planning to frag it and put some heads in better lighting and I’m hoping the color comes back.

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had it? Any idea what spectrum it was under before you got it?

What's your water pramameters?

Elevated N03 and or P04 could change it's color, so could a shift in spectrum.
It came from a reseller who probably fragged it from a colony that a wholesaler brought in. I believe it was under Kessil ap700s when I bought it at MACNA 2017.

Alk has been fluctuating quite a bit, I'll get it up to 8.5-9 and it will be down to 7 in a day or so, so I either need to implement a daily dosing routine, or get an automatic doser.

Mag is fairly stable around 1250-1300

Not really sure about my phosphate, as I currently don't have a test kit, but it takes around 3-4 weeks for me to feel like I need to clean my glass of any film or coralline algae buildup.

Nitrate is untraceable with the API kit I have, as are ammonia and nitrite. Never really had an issue with those three.

I probably need to get a Salifer kit to be certain on the nitrate and definitely the phosphate.

It's sort of always looked like this but I've recently gotten a bug to color my corals back up. I suspect I've had the UV channel up too high on my Ethereal for too long and it's gonna take a while for things to shape back up. It's been three days since I changed the spectrum to mimic the AB+ spectrum from Ecotech and so far the corals seem to love it

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good like mine. Very healthy but yea I have seen some crazy gold Aussie torches I would love that color in mine. Have you looked at it under more white lights? Does the gold come out more?
IMG_2520.JPG
I've never really had a lot of white lighting on this tank, torches are also deeper water corals so naturally I don't think they would need a lot of white light. It may be worth a shot though, maybe one day I'll set up a BRS style experiment haha

OP
OP
nautical_nathaniel

nautical_nathaniel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your running "0's" on N03 and possibly P04, I'd definitely start there.
Time to go to the store then :rolleyes:

I'll report back when I get the test kits in :)

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It came from a reseller who probably fragged it from a colony that a wholesaler brought in. I believe it was under Kessil ap700s when I bought it at MACNA 2017.

Alk has been fluctuating quite a bit, I'll get it up to 8.5-9 and it will be down to 7 in a day or so, so I either need to implement a daily dosing routine, or get an automatic doser.

Mag is fairly stable around 1250-1300

Not really sure about my phosphate, as I currently don't have a test kit, but it takes around 3-4 weeks for me to feel like I need to clean my glass of any film or coralline algae buildup.

Nitrate is untraceable with the API kit I have, as are ammonia and nitrite. Never really had an issue with those three.

I probably need to get a Salifer kit to be certain on the nitrate and definitely the phosphate.

It's sort of always looked like this but I've recently gotten a bug to color my corals back up. I suspect I've had the UV channel up too high on my Ethereal for too long and it's gonna take a while for things to shape back up. It's been three days since I changed the spectrum to mimic the AB+ spectrum from Ecotech and so far the corals seem to love it

I just switched from the Saxby setting to the ab+ on my two Ai prime HD’s over my reefer 170. I have the lights on 50% acclimate mode so I don’t cook anything. I will see if it helps with color, the Saxby was high royal blue and blue and ab+ has the UV and Violet maxed. I am kinda nervous because my corals did ok under Saxby and worried Me changing might hurt everything. It was not broke and I “fixed” it. Hoping I will get better growth and color. Anybody else switch and see positive results?

jarjor1982

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just switched from the Saxby setting to the ab+ on my two Ai prime HD’s over my reefer 170. I have the lights on 50% acclimate mode so I don’t cook anything. I will see if it helps with color, the Saxby was high royal blue and blue and ab+ has the UV and Violet maxed. I am kinda nervous because my corals did ok under Saxby and worried Me changing might hurt everything. It was not broke and I “fixed” it. Hoping I will get better growth and color. Anybody else switch and see positive results?
Hi! I was just seeing how your “fix” to wasn’t broken worked out for you. I just started this myself coming from Saxby’s.

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! How did this work for you, I just got a dragon soul torch and I would like it to color up. I got it two days ago and it is now in my 20 gallon waterbox, the color isn't great. Could it be that my lighting is too low? Here's my settings.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.09.16 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-20 at 5.09.16 PM.png
    106.9 KB · Views: 158

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back