Tirbo snail died. Ammonia spike.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tank full of lps and fish. 91 gallon red sea 350 tank. Saw turbo snail guy. Removed him and some guts. But it dissolved into water Checked ammonia and it is .5 to .75 ppm. Did a little water change and dosed microbacter 7. Tank is year old. Anything else I can do?

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem Prime should help. It will detox ammonia and nitrite for 24 hours while the BB removes it
Ok. Thx. Ordered bottle to be here by 11 am tomorrow and calling around to find a bottle tonight if possible. I was amazed at the level.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea... this seems tough to wrap my head around. What brand test kit are you testing ammonia with? Is it expired?

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used API ammonia. I tested my hospital quarenteen tank with no fish in it right now and it was zero after 5 minute soak.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hmmm , strange, but nothing's impossible.
Maybe the decayed snail caused a temp spike and if it did the bacteria in the rock should deal with it.
New tank?

I know I wouldn't even think of testing myself, so I don't know how a glob of dead snail would affect my smaller tank.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty weird that turbo snail dieing cause spike in a 91 gal tank, I feed my nems littleneck clams bigger than most turbo snails and there is 0 to unmeasurable ammonia. Take inventory on the rest of your tank.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API have false ammonia readings all the time. Every time I read a “my ammonia is high” thread it’s always a API kit giving the high reading. I would recommend finding a Local store that can test your water with a Salifert kit.

OP
OP
Terry Mattson

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is an update. I did add about 8ml of prime. Earlier added the microbactor7. Made the skimmer overflow. Just retested. Ammonia dropped to less than .25 and closer to zero. Nitrate is <10 and nitrite is zero. Will retest in morning and adjust skimmer. Everything inverts. Corals, copods, and fish are acting normal without any signs of stress. Thanks to everyone for responding. The tank is a year old .... and the buildup of animals have been slow but steady. This was a scare for sure. Thanks again.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back