Tired of all the "hobby grade" equipment

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought some new calibration fluid for my refractometer. It was significantly different from my last bottle. So I'm thinking of ordering one of these
https://www.labdepotinc.com/c-482-hydrometers.php
Just so I can verify how close I am.
Looks like I need the one for sg but there is another one for salt brine? Any "scientists" out there?

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a condensed version of Randy’s formula.. using a accurate scale carefully weigh out 40.25 grams of distilled water and mix in 1.55 grams of IODIZED salt. I raise the solution to tank temp before calibrating my refractometer.

58AD2DDD-BE52-445C-BAB3-7B8A8B4E013D.png

C2EDF389-B4BD-41DD-B56F-EF513886D125.png

OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a condensed version of Randy’s formula.. using a accurate scale carefully weigh out 40.25 grams of distilled water and mix in 1.55 grams of IODIZED salt. I raise the solution to tank temp before calibrating my refractometer.

58AD2DDD-BE52-445C-BAB3-7B8A8B4E013D.png

C2EDF389-B4BD-41DD-B56F-EF513886D125.png
Looks like the lab grade hydrometer is cheaper lol!

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the lab grade hydrometer is cheaper lol!

The problem is with anything you use, no matter how expensive there will always be uncertainty unless you can calibrate it with accurate calibration solutions.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently bought some new calibration fluid for my refractometer. It was significantly different from my last bottle. So I'm thinking of ordering one of these
Looks like I need the one for sg but there is another one for salt brine? Any "scientists" out there?

I have like 6 + bottles of calibration fluid and all different.
They also seem to change over time.

But there are things that make them seem farther apart.
Temperature is one, make sure they are the same temperature.
I also make sure my refractometer is warmed up and not cold.
Also shake the bottle before use.
If it is a dropper bottle waste the first few drops.

Recently I started using the
Hanna Instruments HI98319 Marine salinity tester and it has a temp probe so it can compensate for temps and this thing is great and seems to be more stable and accurate.

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 5 dollar hydrometer works well as long as you use it correctly.
While you're not wrong, and they will "work", that does not mean they are as accurate as means of measurement that we can calibrate and test against a known solution.

I personally mix my own calibration solutions as seen in the methods above. If you have the accurate scale that's the method I'd recommend.

I use multiple methods for my salinity, a Red Sea refractometer and an Ice Cap Salinity Pen are what I am using right now. I really want a Milwaukee Table Top Refractometer.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I test my 25 year old swing arm with a lab grade hydrometer. I've been done screwing around with refractometers for a long time.

stacksoner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an equipment snob and am usually disappointed with the quality of most of the things I buy.

I bought a digital refractometer from Milwaukee and must say that I'm pleasantly surprised with it's reliability and durability. It's easy to calibrate and doesn't require the fine tuning and eyeballing that refractometers call for. If looking for salinity standards, Amazon has great lab grade solutions.

OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm an equipment snob and am usually disappointed with the quality of most of the things I buy.

I bought a digital refractometer from Milwaukee and must say that I'm pleasantly surprised with it's reliability and durability. It's easy to calibrate and doesn't require the fine tuning and eyeballing that refractometers call for. If looking for salinity standards, Amazon has great lab grade solutions.
I'll check out the lab grade solutions. Still, planning on getting a lab grade hydrometer that is calibrated.

OP
OP
Art2249

Art2249

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll check out the lab grade solutions. Still, planning on getting a lab grade hydrometer that is calibrated.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Art, what lab grade equipment are you using or would like to use in your system? I too am an equipment snob and am willing to cough up for quality. Thanks

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back