Tired of flooding your kitchen, garage, or bathroom?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Looks like a solid piece of equipment.

Only disadvantage for me is I pump my water into my containers that are 30' away! If both the RODI unit and containers were in the same location this would be a huge asset!

OP
OP
MarineDepot

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
This is awesome. Ive flooded my garage more times than I care to remember.

I am a fellow garage flooder. lol ;) The support guys and gals here have been telling me to get one of these. Christian from our team actually made his own video about it, which I've pasted below if you want to check it out.

Jeff @ Marine Depot

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Couple of problems.

I did not finish watching the video, as the music put me to sleep. How about Van ! ?

A member on another thread that he's concerned that the problem can be that with sensors with salt, the signal can block it then you have a mess. He prefers a mechanical float.

That thread-

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-set-up-a-skimmer-over-flow-switch.548819/#post-5702958

But, I would think it can be the same issue of salt water\salt creep etc, correct ?
We just need to keep things clean.

Last edited:

Robert@MD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Looks like a solid piece of equipment.

Only disadvantage for me is I pump my water into my containers that are 30' away! If both the RODI unit and containers were in the same location this would be a huge asset!

In this case, you could install an Auto Shut Off (ASO) valve on your RO/DI system and then install the Flood Guardian inline just before the container. See diagram #2 below for installation with ASO valve. When the flood guardian closes, pressure will build in the system and trigger the ASO valve to shut off the supply water. Most ASO kits come with a classic float valve too so you could install that as an extra level of protection which is exactly how we utilize the unit here in our office.

upload_2019-2-13_14-56-36.png

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Robert, thanks for the image.

What do you think about my between a beam of light vs mechanical float ?
I'm looking to buy something for my RO/DI and skimmer.

Robert@MD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Couple of problems.

I did not finish watching the video, as the music put me to sleep. How about Van ! ?

A member on another thread that he's concerned that the problem can be that with sensors with salt, the signal can block it then you have a mess. He prefers a mechanical float.

That thread-

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/how-to-set-up-a-skimmer-over-flow-switch.548819/#post-5702958

But, I would think it can be the same issue of salt water\salt creep etc, correct ?
We just need to keep things clean.

Van Morrison? Man, if we had rights to use Van Morrison tracks in our videos, I would just be ecstatic. Unfortunately, we are bound by copyright laws. I do appreciate your feedback and what kind of tunes would you like to hear on the videos?

Saltwater would never come in contact with the sensor on the Flood Guardian because it is intended for installation in your freshwater reservoir to prevent overfill. Furthermore, RO/DI water is 99.9% pure water which means it is very very rare that it would leave build-up or deposits on the sensor. After extended use, you may need to just clean it off with a little vinegar but I would imagine that would take a very long time to build-up to a point at which it impedes operation.

There are quite a few Auto Top Off systems that employ these optical sensors with great success and even a skimmer fail safe. Check 'em out below and feel free to ping me with questions anytime!
https://mdshop.us/2X1h0Zv

-Robert @ MD

Robert@MD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Robert, thanks for the image.

What do you think about my between a beam of light vs mechanical float ?
I'm looking to buy something for my RO/DI and skimmer.

For stopping your RO/DI system from flooding when producing purified freshwater and collecting it in a reservoir, I would suggest the use of the XP Aqua Flood Guardian alongside a mechanical float valve just to be extra sure that no water will be let through when your reservoir or container is full.

For preventing your skimmer from overflowing, Auto Aqua makes a nice little gadget called the "Smart Skimmer Security" and works just like the Flood Guardian with an optical sensor for detection.

Feel free to ping me back anytime with more questions!

-Robert @ MD

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
The marriage saver is a dual sensor. It has 2 eyes. I haven't tested the upper one to confirm, but believe that is the backup. The instructions are basic at the most. For my setup it works as advertised.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Van Morrison? Man, if we had rights to use Van Morrison tracks in our videos, I would just be ecstatic. Unfortunately, we are bound by copyright laws. I do appreciate your feedback and what kind of tunes would you like to hear on the videos?

Saltwater would never come in contact with the sensor on the Flood Guardian because it is intended for installation in your freshwater reservoir to prevent overfill. Furthermore, RO/DI water is 99.9% pure water which means it is very very rare that it would leave build-up or deposits on the sensor. After extended use, you may need to just clean it off with a little vinegar but I would imagine that would take a very long time to build-up to a point at which it impedes operation.

There are quite a few Auto Top Off systems that employ these optical sensors with great success and even a skimmer fail safe. Check 'em out below and feel free to ping me with questions anytime!
https://mdshop.us/2X1h0Zv

-Robert @ MD

''Unfortunately, we are bound by copyright laws''

Ah, they'll never know ! lol.....Any rock music my Cockatto bird can dance to.

I'll look into it.
Thanks Robert and keep up with your wonderful and informative videos.

dburg30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
So, reading about this.. It appears it will fill, then goes into standby mode... So once the level drops, it wont make water again automatically? You will have to either push the button, or power cycle it?

dburg30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I saw that. Just seemed like standby mode would have let it start again. And sleep mode would require pushing button or power cycling.. So what's the difference between standby and sleep mode? If I get it will probably do what they mention and just have something power cycle it every couple days...

Sod Buster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I just took a gallon out of my storage, turned the power strip on, and the light went solid green w/o opening the solenoid to start flow. I had to push the play button to get it activated.

dburg30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Thank you for your answers! If I get one I'll have to hook it up to a wifi outlet or an outlet on my reefpi and just power cycle it. My sump / rodi is in the basement so would be easier to be able to cycle it from upstairs..

dburg30

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I just took a gallon out of my storage, turned the power strip on, and the light went solid green w/o opening the solenoid to start flow. I had to push the play button to get it activated.

Wait, so you took the water out, then powered it on and you STILL had to push the button?

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back