Tired of FUSSY Zoas. Need suggestions.

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am collecting Hornet zoas for a "Hornet's Nest" (original, I know) zoa garden. One rock with 10 different types of Hornets on it.

So far I have, Red, Blue, Purple, Black, Ktar Black, Jawbreaker, King Jawbreaker, Rainbow, Frozen and Murder Hornets. Everything is thriving ... Except the Murder Hornets. The Murder Hornets are melting. Same rock, same flow, same light as the others. All the others look GREAT (even some notorious melters doing great), but inches away the Murders are melting. :(

I'm pretty stuck on doing this garden, though, so I'll find another frag and try again.

In another one of my gardens, I'm on my second frag of My Clementines, and they're all but gone. Again. Same situation as the Hornets. Nine other types on the same rock growing like weeds, but two frags of Clementines gone. :(

I'm replacing them this time with LSOH, which are doing great on my frag rack. I guess we'll see how it goes.

Globean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of different Zoa species. I feel like my reef is fairly decent with solid params and good husbandry. My big tank is split between an Alveopora/Goniopora garden on the substrate and a Zoa garden on top of the rocks. Good flow/light and solid feeding (live phyto, oyster feast, ReefEnergy, Aminos, blah blah blah)

But IM TIRED OF FUSSY ZOAS that are little prinesses that may faint and wither if you dont kiss their ***** just right.

I have solid specimens that are fat and plump and open everyday and look great everyday no matter what. For example; Rainbow Infusions,Cornbred Blancas, Twizzlers, Radioactive Dragon Eyes, Armor of God, Blueberry Pies. Ive never seen any of these close.

Then there are the delicate primadonnas that exist on the edge of death that I find myself looking at every morning when I wake up to see if they are still alive for example: Nightmares, Cry Babies, and others.

I want to add some bangin tough Zoas in Yellow or Blue or any Good Colors that are big and plump and hardy.
No Brown.
Any suggeztions

I have a bunch of different Zoa species. I feel like my reef is fairly decent with solid params and good husbandry. My big tank is split between an Alveopora/Goniopora garden on the substrate and a Zoa garden on top of the rocks. Good flow/light and solid feeding (live phyto, oyster feast, ReefEnergy, Aminos, blah blah blah)

But IM TIRED OF FUSSY ZOAS that are little prinesses that may faint and wither if you dont kiss their ***** just right.

I have solid specimens that are fat and plump and open everyday and look great everyday no matter what. For example; Rainbow Infusions,Cornbred Blancas, Twizzlers, Radioactive Dragon Eyes, Armor of God, Blueberry Pies. Ive never seen any of these close.

Then there are the delicate primadonnas that exist on the edge of death that I find myself looking at every morning when I wake up to see if they are still alive for example: Nightmares, Cry Babies, and others.

I want to add some bangin tough Zoas in Yellow or Blue or any Good Colors that are big and plump and hardy.
No Brown

Globean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No Brown.
Any suggeztions
Wow! Thank you for the quick education! I'm new to the love of the reef and i saw very quickly how addictive this can be. So much beauty to choose from... I will focus on getting the zoas you listed as "less fussy" so i don't make any errors i can't come back from.

Will work up to fancy later...

parkwaytrash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks to all that have commented here. I'm looking for hardy zoas as the ones i have are fussy. Everything in my tank is thriving except zoas

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back