~TJ'S 125g ~ Building of the Reef~

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike or Terry ???

I'm still working on my DSLR camera skills and one day hope to at least be able to compete with yours...lol Tried a few shots today but could get nothing even half way decent so resorted to phones camera.

Cheers, Todd

It was both of us, LOL.

What DSLR are you using and can you shoot in raw format?

-Terry

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Mike or Terry ???

I'm still working on my DSLR camera skills and one day hope to at least be able to compete with yours...lol Tried a few shots today but could get nothing even half way decent so resorted to phones camera.

Cheers, Todd

I'm no pro, but I've seen some of your photo work and it isn't bad at all!

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks All, the Yellow Coris Wrasse decided to show today its face this morning so set up the camera to try and capture a non-stop moving yellow blur... lol

Terry, my camera is a Nikon D3100 and for today was shooting with the stock 18-55mm zoom lens and ended up using the Sports Action? Auto-focus mode while after the fish which seemed to work fairly well. Pics in above posts using it I was shooting in manual everything f5.6, ISO 800, 1/125 - 1/160 and a touch of White color balancing. Shooting under LED's is certainly a challenge and change immensely with even slight angle deviations.

These images below are a few shots from today and some from the other day that I cropped a bit.

Yellow Coris Wrasse, the only one in decent focus out of about 20 shots

A couple decent shots of my female Dispar Anthias

And a 4-shot sequence of my Tailspot Blenny pair during courtship and being to closely observed by the Halfspotted Goby. There is a hole in the LR where the male Blenny resides but the female plump with eggs has a very difficult time squeezing in "Do these eggs make me look fat ?"...lol

And said intruder aka curious observer

A good shot of the lil Yellow Tang finally

Cheers, Todd

Mike&Terry

Wrasses, Angels, & Tangs, Oh My!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks All, the Yellow Coris Wrasse decided to show today its face this morning so set up the camera to try and capture a non-stop moving yellow blur... lol

Terry, my camera is a Nikon D3100 and for today was shooting with the stock 18-55mm zoom lens and ended up using the Sports Action? Auto-focus mode while after the fish which seemed to work fairly well. Pics in above posts using it I was shooting in manual everything f5.6, ISO 800, 1/125 - 1/160 and a touch of White color balancing. Shooting under LED's is certainly a challenge and change immensely with even slight angle deviations.

These images below are a few shots from today and some from the other day that I cropped a bit.

Yellow Coris Wrasse, the only one in decent focus out of about 20 shots

A couple decent shots of my female Dispar Anthias

And a 4-shot sequence of my Tailspot Blenny pair during courtship and being to closely observed by the Halfspotted Goby. There is a hole in the LR where the male Blenny resides but the female plump with eggs has a very difficult time squeezing in "Do these eggs make me look fat ?"...lol

And said intruder aka curious observer

A good shot of the lil Yellow Tang finally

Cheers, Todd

These pics are GREAT, Todd! I hear you regarding the LED lighting. My camera is a Nikon D300s. I've found that manually setting the color temp to 10000k (the highest my camera will allow) helps cut through a good portion of the blue. I shoot in .raw format which makes it easier to correct the white balance in post processing.

joekool

Mixed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the coris wrasse. I like most yellow fish but for some reason have none. I'll have to get some.
Yellow tangs a bute too!

I sent you an email too by the way.

muntwo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice woodwork! did you end up taking out the massive sarcophyton or did you trim it?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice bud!

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys, will get an Update posted in next couple of days been very busy of late and just now getting the systems chemistry back in order from having the Alk line of doser fall into sump and clog it up for a couple of weeks ??? Alk bottomed out at around 2 meq before some STN on a few Corals caught my eye. Good thing most of my Corals are very hardy and only annoyed them greatly.

muntwo, I did end up removing the LARGE Sarcophyton and donated it to our local Reef Club for Raffle. I kept a lil Quarter sized piece to start again with.

Mike/Terry, I'll look and see if my camera has a similar/same setting to go with on next shoot.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update with a short video piece. My new Wrasses are doing just fine, all four of them and brings me to 24 Fish in my 125g. The pair of Solar Wrasses have adapted wonderfully as has the Melanurus Wrasse, the lil Yellow Coris is still on a whole other Time-zone cycle and is a bit confused yet. Up at 9:30 am and back to his sand bed at around 1:30-2:00pm....... could be a Teenager. The NEAR DISASTER with the Alk Dosing tube is still haunting me a bit and have a fair amount of STN on a few colonies including the large Rose Milli, a Tri-color, Red Planet which is already re-encrusting over recession area and some of the Birdsnests. Not so worried about the Birdsnests as they grow quickly but would absolutely hate having to frag up the Rose Milli if it continues. Also broke down the Frag Tank as got tired of keeping up with it, placed several of the better pieces into DT covering my sand bed once again and threw out to many to think about. If there is anyone in my PNW region that would like some Birdsnests Coral (Blue & Hyacinth) mini colonies let me know and you can have them N/C. On another note my two dwarf Angels have now both developed a taste for my new Favites colony and have done irrepairable damage, hopefully they will let up soon and be able to survive.... what's left. OK, see if I remember which link to copy a video from on PhotoBucket.

Cheers, Todd

Last edited:
OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please let me know if the two videos above are working correctly, my new Android Phone only takes high-res MP4 format video and is a pain to even download to PB.

Cheers, Todd

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vids are working and the tank looks fine from this POV. Did you toss your extra frags in the garbage? I'm thinking Calcium reactor media.

OP
OP
TJ's Reef

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys glad the vids are working well and probably/hopefully better than on my old PC, thinking I'm in need of a new one as when I try it seems to buffer a lot. How many of you all are using Tablets instead of PC's now ??? May as well look into them as well huh?

Duane, yah just tossed them into the 'Yard Waste' bin for recycle. And Chris, if I'd known you had a new Frag Tank would-a could-a given them to you bud.

Cheers, Todd

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And Chris, if I'd known you had a new Frag Tank would-a could-a given them to you bud.

Cheers, Todd

LOL heck yeah, I'd take them!

BTW I know you are a woodworker guy, you know I have a sawmill and am always milling up cool lumber right? I've currently got spalted and figured Maple, Redwood, Yellow Cedar Old growth Cedar, very limited old growth fir, and occasionally wild cherry. I may even have a line on some Tulip tree wood.

NC2WA

Angelfish Whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
videos are fine, if you need any help with Tablets let me know.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back