TLF Reborn Substrate

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Does anyone use Reborn media as substrate? I’ve seen a few pictures of tanks with it and I really like the look of it, especially once it’s covered with coralline. I understand that Reborn has been reformulated to smaller pieces that doesn’t provide the same look as the older stuff. I’d love to find some of the older media to stash away for a future tank, is there a similar media that is comparable? It seems a year has gone by since they changed it, so I assume the old stuff is impossible to find.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone use Reborn media as substrate? I’ve seen a few pictures of tanks with it and I really like the look of it, especially once it’s covered with coralline. I understand that Reborn has been reformulated to smaller pieces that doesn’t provide the same look as the older stuff. I’d love to find some of the older media to stash away for a future tank, is there a similar media that is comparable? It seems a year has gone by since they changed it, so I assume the old stuff is impossible to find.
@trevorhiller I just bought 4 buckets at 8.8 pounds each of Reborn from Champion Lighting and Supply. Although it didn't say if it's the old oblong pieces or the new smaller pieces I hope it's the old. That's why I jumped on it. I did a thorough search and the picture on the Champion site is of the old buckets for packaging, so I thought old pic, old product. If it was a weekday I would call them before buying but they could sell out now that it's the weekend. I didn't know the old stuff has been gone for a year so this could be an impulse buy that I might send back. @Gotfrogs has an ad here on the forum selling one of the little buckets of the longer pieces but I need about 35 pounds of the stuff for bottom substrate in my Reefer 250. Some guy in the selling thread said they quit selling the oblong pieces so I panicked. Originally I got the idea of using it as a substrate from Paul of Neptune Systems where he showcases his tank with this substrate. Anybody know if or when the old stuff will be back in stock?

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah I messaged @Gotfrogs I believe. I don’t think I would need very much. I imagine someone still has some the way we all hoard stuff. Plus it’s a natural substance, it’s out there-just a matter of sourcing it.

People say detritus trap, etc. but I think rather than do a bare bottom, I’d like to try a thin layer of this stuff as a substrate in the future.

It is ironic that people literally melt it away and here we are looking for it. hope you can find some too. Who knows, it could be a terrible idea, but I like to experiment.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"coral pieces is slightly smaller then the older version as to comply with CITES laws for importation of coral skeletons."

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
"coral pieces is slightly smaller then the older version as to comply with CITES laws for importation of coral skeletons."
The new stuff looks more than “slightly” smaller. It’s probably negligible for a Ca reactor, but the aesthetic is compeltly different for what I want it for.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think that is likely the new stuff though. I’m looking for someone with a bucket in their garage or basement for the last few years.

here is what I’m talking about, old vs new:

Attachments

• BCDBF071-197E-4C01-A033-35DFD914DAFF.jpeg
    BCDBF071-197E-4C01-A033-35DFD914DAFF.jpeg
    226.1 KB · Views: 222
  • 60ACC31F-8825-4C80-913B-E1E9E510E3F6.jpeg
    60ACC31F-8825-4C80-913B-E1E9E510E3F6.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 216
OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It seems it was over a year ago that TLF switched their source of media and the particle size decreased. I imagine all the retailers out there only have the new (small size stuff) since so much time has elapsed. I don’t KNOW that though, it’s just speculation.

The link you posted for premium aquatics actually has a disclaimer saying it’s smaller though. I’m not sure about Big Al’s.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@trevorhiller @fishface NJ well whether new or old I've got about 35 pounds coming. Even if it's the new smaller I think I could use it. It should be at least larger than crushed Florida coral. I'm interested in the big size easy to maintain just blast it with a powerhead and flow gets in between and around the pieces. Sand has to be stirred and siphoned.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems it was over a year ago that TLF switched their source of media and the particle size decreased. I imagine all the retailers out there only have the new (small size stuff) since so much time has elapsed. I don’t KNOW that though, it’s just speculation.

The link you posted for premium aquatics actually has a disclaimer saying it’s smaller though. I’m not sure about Big Al’s.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Big Al's is in Canada. It's possible there's no law there governing the importation of coral skeletons.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@trevorhiller @fishface NJ well whether new or old I've got about 35 pounds coming. Even if it's the new smaller I think I could use it. It should be at least larger than crushed Florida coral. I'm interested in the big size easy to maintain just blast it with a powerhead and flow gets in between and around the pieces. Sand has to be stirred and siphoned.
Oh yeah, I definitely think you can accomplish the same effect with the new smaller pieces. It still looks pretty chunky and I honestly think if I can source some older big stuff I might mix it with the new smaller stuff just for balance. It’s hard to visualize without seeing in person. I’d love to see a picture of what you get next to a penny or something for scale.

just out of curiousity, have you been planning this or did your idea come after reading my thead? Wondering if I just shot myself in the foot by posting this thread.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See this link:

There's a US division of Big Al's however it's closing down January 18, 2022. So if they have the bigger stuff people won't have much time to get it. Free shipping at $75. As far as particle size, if you look at the first picture in your post above there is a ruler for reference. I looks like the biggest particles get up to 3/4".

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have- comes in a couple of sizes, very porous and melts slowly compared to other substrates.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I wish I could have jumped on your ad for sale. Unfortunately, I just realized I want to try this down the road. It was you that just sold some of the older stuff wasn’t it?
Older which was the better stuff and unopened. It was a deal.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@trevorhiller If the stuff I've got ordered is the small, I could sell to you and go for the Big Al's if that's the bigger? Or trade for? Another thing I like about this is copepods can get in and around the large grain size.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m using it in my test 20H. It’s the new stuff. Couldn’t source the old but it still looks good. Picture is yellow but Reborn is white. Looks really nice.

Using it because I like the asthetics but also to house pods, trap detritus and acts as both an initials area for nitrification as well as buffer as I expect it will melt slightly where nitrification occurs. Sits on top of a custom filter that houses pumice to compete the nitrification/denitrification process. Oddly my alkalinity has been going up. No corals yet but since this pic was taken have added fish. Magnet for diatoms which I’m not fighting off successfully. Should be a haven for coraline for which I’m not sure how I feel about that. Wanted it on my walls and rocks. Not sure something for my gravel. Will have to see.

Attachments

• 897078CF-D392-4414-896F-C7F8F1921FDB.jpeg
    897078CF-D392-4414-896F-C7F8F1921FDB.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 209

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back