TLF Reborn Substrate

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a better pic and before the diatoms took over. I believe just before converting to full salt.

94857231-C25A-4AE1-A25E-A02D75324189.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m using it in my test 20H. It’s the new stuff. Couldn’t source the old but it still looks good. Picture is yellow but Reborn is white. Looks really nice.

Using it because I like the asthetics but also to house pods, trap detritus and acts as both an initials area for nitrification as well as buffer as I expect it will melt slightly where nitrification occurs. Sits on top of a custom filter that houses pumice to compete the nitrification/denitrification process. Oddly my alkalinity has been going up. No corals yet but since this pic was taken have added fish. Magnet for diatoms which I’m not fighting off successfully. Should be a haven for coraline for which I’m not sure how I feel about that. Wanted it on my walls and rocks. Not sure something for my gravel. Will have to see.
I’m digging it. Maybe the new smaller stuff is the way to go.

I really liked the older stuff because it’s very obvious what it is (dead coral). But your substrate looks pretty good. This might be my plan B if I don’t have any luck.

I’m not in a hurry at all, this is a long term plan. But I figure someone has to have a box of it sitting around somewhere.

Honestly I would even take a small bag of the bigger stuff and supplement the remainder with the new stuff that’s readily available. I do like the idea of having some larger pieces mixed in on the bottom.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m digging it. Maybe the new smaller stuff is the way to go.

I really liked the older stuff because it’s very obvious what it is (dead coral). But your substrate looks pretty good. This might be my plan B if I don’t have any luck.

I’m not in a hurry at all, this is a long term plan. But I figure someone has to have a box of it sitting around somewhere.

Honestly I would even take a small bag of the bigger stuff and supplement the remainder with the new stuff that’s readily available. I do like the idea of having some larger pieces mixed in on the bottom.
The old stuff might be too large by itself. Depends on tank size. Mixed as you mentioned might look better.

The new Reborn is still old coral skeletons which should be very porous and why I’m using it for nitrification and detritus trap. Keeps my tank water clearer while nature does it’s thing.

Does have a lot shells. Don’t know if the original did.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@trevorhiller bought (4) 8.8 pound bags of TLF ReBorn media from Champion Lighting & Supply for substrate on my Reefer 250. I emailed Champion about particle size and they said this is the smaller size but it’s still ReBorn and it’s the only size TLF is shipping now. However as you can see in the photo the particles range from 1” to an 1/8” in size and due to the porosity of the individual particles there is plenty of area for bacteria to colonize. You won’t go wrong with using this as substrate. Cleaning should be easy as taking a powerhead and blowing water into the substrate to get detritus water born and the overflow should export the detritus into your filter socks or fleece roller.

— Mitch
7A4621E6-4323-4236-B50B-CD37894F21D6.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you find the new reborn to be loaded with po4? I have read several reviews saying it's really bad with phosphates...
I have the old version

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you find the new reborn to be loaded with po4? I have read several reviews saying it's really bad with phosphates...
I have the new version but being it’s old coral skeletons then it would make sense it had PO4 although I didn’t notice any and I’m using it as a substrate to perform nitrification and buffer the acidity from that process. I’ve actually had to add NeoPhos to raise those levels to lower nitrates.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the new version but being it’s old coral skeletons then it would make sense it had PO4 although I didn’t notice any and I’m using it as a substrate to perform nitrification and buffer the acidity from that process. I’ve actually had to add NeoPhos to raise those levels to lower nitrates.
@GARRIGA interested to see if there’s nutrients in this. I’m starting out bare bottom until I’m cycled as possible and done with the uglies. So much easier to remove uglies without substrate on the bottom. Then add the ReBorn.

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@GARRIGA interested to see if there’s nutrients in this. I’m starting out bare bottom until I’m cycled as possible and done with the uglies. So much easier to remove uglies without substrate on the bottom. Then add the ReBorn.
Nitrates were under 5 ppm and phosphates under 0.25 ppm but now my Nitrates went up for no apparent reason and started seeing GHA but it’s back down and GHA receding on its own. Nature finds a way. Just takes time.

Since it’s been there since cycling so I don’t know if it contained nutrients but wasn’t a concern. Cycling went as planned including denitrification. Performed one water change since I started in September and that was only to reduce salinity to introduce freshwater mollies. I have zero regrets

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@trevorhiller bought (4) 8.8 pound bags of TLF ReBorn media from Champion Lighting & Supply for substrate on my Reefer 250. I emailed Champion about particle size and they said this is the smaller size but it’s still ReBorn and it’s the only size TLF is shipping now. However as you can see in the photo the particles range from 1” to an 1/8” in size and due to the porosity of the individual particles there is plenty of area for bacteria to colonize. You won’t go wrong with using this as substrate. Cleaning should be easy as taking a powerhead and blowing water into the substrate to get detritus water born and the overflow should export the detritus into your filter socks or fleece roller.

— Mitch
7A4621E6-4323-4236-B50B-CD37894F21D6.jpeg
How deep did you end up making your sand bed? About a 1.5" (if I did my math correctly)?

For anyone else searching this and trying to estimate:
I filling a 12" x 15" box with two 8.8 lb bags of the current/new stuff and it was roughly 2.75 inches deep or 495 cubic inches. By my calculations, I'm thinking I may one more bag to get between 1-2 inches (576-1152 cubic inches) in the 24" x 24" tank I want to get.

I don't know that I want a full 2" of this stuff. I'm thinking a shallower sand bed would be better to prevent detritus collecting in it and facilitate turkey basting it off. Right now, I think I would have about 0.85 inches with the two bags I have right now.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How deep did you end up making your sand bed? About a 1.5" (if I did my math correctly)?

I filling a 12" x 15" box with two 8.8 lb bags of the current/new stuff and it was roughly 2.75 inches deep or 495 cubic inches. By my calculations, I'm thinking I may one more bag to get between 1-2 inches (576-1152 cubic inches) in the 24" x 24" tank I want to get.

I don't know that I want a full 2" of this stuff. I'm thinking a shallower sand bed would be better to prevent detritus collecting in it and facilitate turkey basting it off. Right now, I think I would have about 0.85 inches with the two bags I have right now.
@trevorhiller first of all I would call it something other than a sand bed. Maybe a gravel bed. And I don’t have my tank set up. I think (4) bags will give my RS Reefer 250 at least an inch with some foundation Marco rock taking up space. I just want enough substrate to hide all the bottom glass.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@trevorhiller first of all I would call it something other than a sand bed. Maybe a gravel bed. And I don’t have my tank set up. I think (4) bags will give my RS Reefer 250 at least an inch with some foundation Marco rock taking up space. I just want enough substrate to hide all the bottom glass.
Ahh gotcha... yeah that is kind of what I am going for too--thin layer of coral rubble. I think I'm going to stick with the two bags and add a third later if I need it.

The aquarium I want is on backorder, so I am killing time picking up pieces and parts while I wait. ;)

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Are you placing rocks on the glass or on top of the substrate? Rocks depending on being flat or typical base will take up space when placed more securely on the glass. Flat ledge style rock will take up the most.

I wouldn’t worry about buying more than needed. Excess can be used for filtration as it is very porous. Considerably more bacterial surface than placing live rock in the sump plus this can be placed in a reactor or canister to supplement the filtration. Along with pumice. Can’t have too much filtration.

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a better pic and before the diatoms took over. I believe just before converting to full salt.

94857231-C25A-4AE1-A25E-A02D75324189.jpeg
Fantastic ! introduce some baby bristle worms and pods..and you have a living easy to maintain substrate that cleans itself ...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 117 58.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 61 30.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 73 36.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 34 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.0%
Back