TM TALKS - Carbon Dosing, May 21st, 3PM EDT

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come and join in the discussion on May 21st at 3PM EDT. We will be doing a presentation all about CARBON DOSING. Get onto ZOOM and use meeting ID:413-367-0101. We will start the presentation at 3PM. Then open the floor to questions. Ask about ANYTHING. If you are having issues in your system, and would like some input. Or, any type of general reef aquarium questions too. We also would be happy to chat about any of the products in the Tropic Marin line up.

We hope you can join in. We look forward to seeing lots of tanks, answering lots of questions, and talking reefs!

TM-TALK3-700-Reef2.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would love this !!! Now to remember !

Awesome Dennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally forgot about the first one, I’m running daddy day care during this pandemic.

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lou. This sounds like a great discussion.

Any update on when All for Reef is going to be back on the shelfs in the US? I’ve run out and had to switch back to BRS 2-part dosing.

OP
OP
Lou Ekus

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Lou. This sounds like a great discussion.

Any update on when All for Reef is going to be back on the shelfs in the US? I’ve run out and had to switch back to BRS 2-part dosing.
It keeps coming in on a regular basis. The problem is that it sells out the minute it is restocked. Keep in touch with your vendor. They will be getting more and you want to be on the list when it comes in. We are doing everything we can to get more flowing into the US. Things are improving, but it takes time.

animated-780X90-R2R-rainbow.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

135zman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback about the supply side. I’m on several vendor email notifications, but haven’t received one yet.

In the meantime, can a substitute liquid Carbo-Calcium for the All-for-Reef at the same dosing amount to maintain calcium and alkalinity? I don’t want to start over to figure out my dosing schedule while All-for-Reef is not readily available. I was of the understanding it is the same formula without the trace and minor elements that are in All-for-Reef.

OP
OP
Lou Ekus

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback about the supply side. I’m on several vendor email notifications, but haven’t received one yet.

In the meantime, can a substitute liquid Carbo-Calcium for the All-for-Reef at the same dosing amount to maintain calcium and alkalinity? I don’t want to start over to figure out my dosing schedule while All-for-Reef is not readily available. I was of the understanding it is the same formula without the trace and minor elements that are in All-for-Reef.
Yes, you can do that without any problem. And in many places, you can also get the Trace A&K and the Bio-Magnesium and make your own All-For-Reef mixture. But you can also use the Carbocalcium alone, if you would like.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would absolutely love to attended ... but I have to attend another Zoom meeting at the very same time for work. Will the presentation be recorded and available for playback later?

OP
OP
Lou Ekus

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would absolutely love to attended ... but I'll have another Zoom meeting at the very same time for work. Will the presentation be recorded and available for playback later?
We won't be recording this one. But last week I did a presentation that included some of the same material on Reef Dudes with Deven. Here is a link. You miss the chance to ask questions and interact. But much of the info is the same:

It won't be like being there. But at least it's something!

Ky_acc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus what are your thoughts on carbon dosing (NP bacto balance) while running a UV sterilizer?

would that be completely counter productive and kill all the bacteria before they could be consumed by the coral?

OP
OP
Lou Ekus

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus what are your thoughts on carbon dosing (NP bacto balance) while running a UV sterilizer?

would that be completely counter productive and kill all the bacteria before they could be consumed by the coral?
A great question...I don't think it is completely "counter productive". I'm sure there are still bacteria around, to make the carbon dosing work, that would not be flowing through the UV unit. However, if you are asking if I recommend it or if it "influences" the effectiveness at all, that is a different question.
Personally, I don't like to see a UV running 24/7 on a reef tank anyway. I think having a UV unit "plumbed into the system" is a great idea. If you ever need it, it is right there and ready. UV is the fastest/easiest solution to a bacterial bloom, for instance! But the reef is not a sterile place. Your animals want to eat living organic matter in the water column constantly. A UV is counter productive to that concept.
Again, I am not against UV in general. And you certainly can do carbon dosing while running a UV. But, in my opinion, running a UV 24/7 on a reef tank, while doing carbon dosing or not, is not the most effective or efficient approach.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Lou Ekus I am planning on replacing the Tunze Care Bacter carbon source I have been using for the last year or so with NP-Bacto Pellets and let my P04 levels dictate which TM bacteria product to use. The Tunze product is a powder that is mixed with water and added weekly much like the Reef Actif product. What will be the best way to ween off the Tunze Care Bacter? Should I stick with the 50 ml/25gal recommendation while weening off the Care Bacter?

Back