To all you Electrical Engineers/Electricians out there, what is a reasonable action for surge suppression?

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple weeks ago, we had a typical summer storm. I was a couple miles away from the house when I heard an incredible BOOM! The storm came and went and as I returned home, I found my garage door opener had fried. After having to break into my own house, I also found that the Apex Classic, one of two EB8s, two DoS units (awc), and a few other modules were partly or totally fried as well. Honestly, it could have been a lot worse. Given the lack of damage, I cant help but wonder what MIGHT have been saved had I simply put in some sort of surge suppression. It seems that most of the damaged items were connected via aquabus cable.
Now it's obvious that a strong surge or direct strike would torch everything. But what, if any, would be a reasonable thing to do for minor surges which I would assume be the great majority of the cases. In 8 years, I've only had things fry this one time but had many brief power outages/flickers of power.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doc Brown Shock GIF by Back to the Future Trilogy

Just file a home owners claim, Marty

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$1200 of damage for a $500 deductible and rate increase. Not likely a good payoff scenario. I already replaced the garage door opener myself.
File a claim. If they raise rates, go insurance shopping. Every 3rd commercial on tv/radio is BEGGING for me to use their insurance company bc they can and will make a ton of profit off me. Screw all of 'em lol

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$1200 of damage for a $500 deductible and rate increase. Not likely a good payoff scenario. I already replaced the garage door opener myself.
Do you have a surge on your meter or panel? They will usually have a green light for good and no light or red for bad..they are less than 75$ they don't trip unless there is a true surge like you experienced. It is a one time surge but it saves you 1200$...........

Attachments

• 16286778647071986650872401346252.jpg
    16286778647071986650872401346252.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 52
  • 16286779002383231902464833500245.jpg
    16286779002383231902464833500245.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I have this but that’s exactly what I was asking for. And it’s not just about the money, it’s about not frying stuff while I’m out of town and killing things.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I have this but that’s exactly what I was asking for. And it’s not just about the money, it’s about not frying stuff while I’m out of town and killing things.
No I wasn't implying it or you were about the money, only giving a reference on cost to savings in case anyone else is following along.

Im sorry that happened to you, but that was my recommendation and hopefully that can help Its easy to install also, and can be purchased at a local big hardware store.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a surge on your meter or panel? They will usually have a green light for good and no light or red for bad..they are less than 75$ they don't trip unless there is a true surge like you experienced. It is a one time surge but it saves you 1200$...........
What’s the difference between that single phase surge protector that’s pictured, and a dual phase protector?

Does that mean you’re only protecting one side of your panel to a surge with that single?

I understand the whole 120v/240v thing. But not toward the surge protector.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the difference between that single phase surge protector that’s pictured, and a dual phase protector?

Does that mean you’re only protecting one side of your panel to a surge with that single?

I understand the whole 120v/240v thing. But not toward the surge protector.
there is no dual phase only single phase wich is normal residential power 120/ 240v and 3phase which is mostly commercial.

So for your house you need single phase surge. Two hot black wires and a white grounding conductor (neutral).

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If lightening strikes close, not sure there is protection for delicate electronics, ground in that case is a path into your house. Do not take a shower during a storm.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is no dual phase only single phase wich is normal residential power 120/ 240v and 3phase which is mostly commercial.

So for your house you need single phase surge. Two hot black wires and a white grounding conductor (neutral).
Not sure what I seen then. Maybe it said single “stage” vs dual “stage”… and not “phase”. Who’s knows haha

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what I seen then. Maybe it said single “stage” vs dual “stage”… and not “phase”. Who’s knows haha
Its probably just a reference on installation you seen, there's type 1 and type 2 which is referring to the way it is installed either on a braker in the panel or meter and one is for meter installation only i forget wich one is what but h.d sells the one in my picture and its both the problem with the panel installation is that it cost more because it requires a braker and space for a 2 pole braker also. But the meter install takes a professional. We install them for 200$ labor and parts incld. Very simple job well worth it, it can be diy.

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its probably just a reference on installation you seen, there's type 1 and type 2 which is referring to the way it is installed either on a braker in the panel or meter and one is for meter installation only i forget wich one is what but h.d sells the one in my picture and its both the problem with the panel installation is that it cost more because it requires a braker and space for a 2 pole braker also. But the meter install takes a professional. We install them for 200$ labor and parts incld. Very simple job well worth it, it can be diy.
I've added a circuit to a breaker before but I'm not an electrician. I had a neighbor who was one, verify that my work was legit so I was comfortable w/the work. This, however, is a different house and the breaker box is filled to capacity. So, if and when I do this, I will have a pro do it along with maybe expanding the box so I can put a charger in the garage for a future electric vehicle :)

OP
OP
dangros

dangros

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just "struck" with the amount of threads posting about fried controllers/Neptune modules due to common blips in power. That is what is making me post here to see if a simple surge suppressor that is "rated" at 1000+ joules may actually have some value.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've added a circuit to a breaker before but I'm not an electrician. I had a neighbor who was one, verify that my work was legit so I was comfortable w/the work. This, however, is a different house and the breaker box is filled to capacity. So, if and when I do this, I will have a pro do it along with maybe expanding the box so I can put a charger in the garage for a future electric vehicle :)
You can more than likely put in a small sub panel to take care of some overflow needs and a few extra circuits. Unless your looking to upgrade everything.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back