To battery backup, or not to battery backup, this is the question.

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a spare apc br700g pro battery back up, that's has my return pump, DT one wave maker an one return chamber Heater on it. The battery should get 4 hrs. So my question is ---should I put both on my Eb832's / entire apex setup on that back up. My concern is, as it stands now I believe I would get more life support with just three prime devices, instead of my entire setup. What do yall think.? I mean; do I need my sump light, and other misc equipment running for a short time vs life support devices running longer durning a power outage?

Last edited:

BBoley24

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I looked into this today. I just don't think these were made for catastrophic power failures for more than a few hours

Fishyfish22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
the less you have on, the longer it'll run in case of an emergency. You wanna run the bare minimum to protect what's in your display/frag tank. So probably a heater and wavemaker.

I think apex has a way where you can set up a battery backup, so in the case where power goes out it only runs two or three outlets automatically

jjencek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drop the heater. The wavemaker is the essential one. You need water movement more than the temp.

I use APEX with lots of stuff on it, but when there is no power, only the main APEX control unit is on and the pumps.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read my tutorial on Apex Power Monitoring for details on configuring the Apex to selectively turn off high-power equipment like heaters, pumps, lights, and skimmers to preserve the battery life for water movement:

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the points BRS made when they ran their test videos, is that the AC/DC computer UPS have a very inefficient conversion on low power use; so depending on the size of the UPS, you wouldn't want to run the bare minimum, as it won't get you that much more time. i.e. at 10% power you may get 4 hours, at 50% power use you may get 3.5 hours, i.e. it's not a linear relationship due to the terrible inefficiencies. On the other hand if you have a DC battery backup for your pump/wave maker you don't suffer from that inefficient conversion at low power.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other.

Back