To Bristle Or Not To Bristle

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks , I know this question has been asked a zillion times but I am new and need advice .
My tank is a Bio Cube 16 with 16.8 lbs of live rock. I have many corals of various types , Paly`s , LPS Candy Cane, Softy Discosoma Mushroom, LPS Polyp WYSIWYG. One Emerald Crab, One Goby Firetail (small) , One Clown Fish (small) , One Peppermint Shrimp , Three Mexican Turbo Snails(small) , One Hermit Crab (small) . The tank is in its third week and doing very well with all the numbers, salinity Ect.
So a week ago I bought a coral and found a Bristle Worm on it so I did not add it to the tank. I have been feeding it and its doing well isolated in a bowl . My question is should I add it to the tank or do I have enough of a Clean up Crew ?
I ask because I have been reading the forums and its very mixed with whether to keep this guy or keep it OUT of my tank ? Currently I have no hitchhikers , well none that are large and noticeable.
Again please excuse this thread if it is an annoying repeat but with so many views and being new I do not know what I should do.
Thank you for any and all opinions and or advice :)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks , I know this question has been asked a zillion times but I am new and need advice .
My tank is a Bio Cube 16 with 16.8 lbs of live rock. I have many corals of various types , Paly`s , LPS Candy Cane, Softy Discosoma Mushroom, LPS Polyp WYSIWYG. One Emerald Crab, One Goby Firetail (small) , One Clown Fish (small) , One Peppermint Shrimp , Three Mexican Turbo Snails(small) , One Hermit Crab (small) . The tank is in its third week and doing very well with all the numbers, salinity Ect.
So a week ago I bought a coral and found a Bristle Worm on it so I did not add it to the tank. I have been feeding it and its doing well isolated in a bowl . My question is should I add it to the tank or do I have enough of a Clean up Crew ?
I ask because I have been reading the forums and its very mixed with whether to keep this guy or keep it OUT of my tank ? Currently I have no hitchhikers , well none that are large and noticeable.
Again please excuse this thread if it is an annoying repeat but with so many views and being new I do not know what I should do.
I purposely added them to my tank and have no regrets. If you start getting large numbers of them it is a good sign you need to improve your husbandry. Otherwise, some fish will eat them (especially the small ones) and they do a great job cleaning deep inside the rock.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I vote put em in :) bristles are a great part of your clean up crew and unless you're overfeeding the tank, their numbers generally dont get out of control.

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With only one Bristle , it should not repopulate ? Are they sexed male and female and if so how do you determine which is which ?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With only one Bristle , it should not repopulate ? Are they sexed male and female and if so how do you determine which is which ?
Where the is one, there is more ;)

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms for the win - they help get all the nooks and crannies your other CUC can't get to.

I had a macro tank for a while that basically had just worms and ceriths.

Behold, and tremble in fear - it is Gigantor, king of the bristle worms!

Gigantor 2.jpg

Gigantor.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Behold, and tremble in fear - it is Gigantor, king of the bristle worms!

Gigantor!

Shades of Saturday morning TV memories - _there's_ a name I've not heard in many a year!

~Bruce

OP
OP
zoso

zoso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So even though I have a clean up crew the addition of this little bristle will not over load the amount of clean up crew I now have ?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered some (along with spaghetti worms) from IPSF, and paid to ship from Hawaii :)

Used to buy them from Inland Aquatics, before they went belly up. You could always count on a small worm or two in a package of Garf Grunge, too.

I can't imagine keeping a reef without bristle worms. Without a doubt, the best clean-up critter you can have. Trying to keep them out of a tank is probably pointless anyway... small bristle worms will hide in cracks and crevices of frag plugs. I don't believe I've ever seen a mature reef without bristle worms.

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, there's my motivation to always have gloves on hand. (I <3 puns)

I had planned on avoiding these guys at all cost, but hearing the good reviews about their CUC support and the fact you cant keep them out makes me think I won't even bother trying to dodge em. Maybe more contact will make it so they don't freak me out so much. ;Dead

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 31.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 59 79.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.4%
Back