To check valve or not on drain for water change?

sneekapeek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was wondering your thoughts on a spring loaded check valve plumbed in drain when draining tank before a water change.

How do you guys plumb your drain line?

I was thinking detritus could impair the ability of the check valve over time rendering it useless. I put one in meanwhile because I didn’t want any sewer line bacteria or gases traveling up the sewer line and into the tank. I know the pressure of water and valves closing wouldn’t allow anything to travel up the line. I just put it in as precautionary.

For more info I Tee off the top of my sink drain and then the water goes through standard S turn before going down sewer!

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would never rely on a check valve to stop flow into the sump during a power outage to the return pump.

They do work, but often times fail from detritus being built up, or even just bacterial slime.

EDIT:
Just actually read the OP, I don't see any issue running it in the fashion you want. If it is normally closed, instead of always being open(like when used in a drain line to a sump), I don't think you'll have an issue. I would just put unions in place so it can be easily removed for cleaning.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back