To Chemiclean or Not? Cyano - Vinegar Dosing

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have cyano taking over my 1 year old Waterbox 220.6's sandbed. I believe I had very small amounts of it that I was not concerned about when I started dosing vinegar to lower my nitrates cause I haven't had the time to do a series of large waterchanges (they were around 40). I do not know if the sandbed becoming covered in it is its natural progression or if the vinegar was fueling it. I originally wanted to go the "do nothing" method and let it die out and stabilize itself. Now I am not sure what to do.

Should I use chemiclean or let it take its course? (Afraid of other algae and dinos taking over afterwards, already fought dinos in the first few months of my tank)

Should I stop vinegar dosing?

Any other suggestions?

IMG_1039.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For now I would stop. Vinegar dosing I believe feeds the cyabo as nopox does. Get your parameters in order now. Otherwise you will be doing this twice. Reduce white light, remove what you can manually during your series of water changes. Bolster your CuC. I say this route because if you deal with parameters afterward you will end up with the same issue all over again. Cyano pops up when nutrients go haywire or change.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, since I never got up to full dose for a system with 180g of water in it, I was only at 20ml so I just stopped. Will this cyano stage just taper out by itself if I do the above?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, since I never got up to full dose for a system with 180g of water in it, I was only at 20ml so I just stopped. Will this cyano stage just taper out by itself if I do the above?
20ml would be about full dose for a 180g system. I use nopox on my 90g and 9ml was full dose. Keep in mind you always have to factor in the displacement from the rocks and sand. So your 180g system is really 160g (for example not exact)

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the treatment @vetteguy53081 recommends. Naming him so he doesn't get mad at me for plagiarism. (Lol)

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is the treatment @vetteguy53081 recommends. Naming him so he doesn't get mad at me for plagiarism. (Lol)

I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.
Skip the NoPox for now as it will at times feed the cyano

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20ml would be about full dose for a 180g system. I use nopox on my 90g and 9ml was full dose. Keep in mind you always have to factor in the displacement from the rocks and sand. So your 180g system is really 160g (for example not exact)

Oh, based on the vinegar dosing chart, I was only at week 3 of dosing. I thought I had a long ways to go with dose increases. Either way I stopped it. My display and sump are roughly 205-210. I had a way of figuring out how much water was in the system including sump not being filled all the way and sand/rock displacement.

lol I hear yuh. Is running GFO equivalent to using chemipure elite? I will definitely work on the lights, bacteria, and hydrogen peroxide. Just curious though, if I only stopped the vinegar dosing and just kept up with water changes, would this go away on this own?

Skip the NoPox for now as it will at times feed the cyano

I stopped the vinegar dosing yesterday.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held off as long as I could with the ChemiClean and am sorry I waited... one dose and done. No more Cyano and the tank looks sparkling clean. No ill effects to be reported in my case.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I held off as long as I could with the ChemiClean and am sorry I waited... one dose and done. No more Cyano and the tank looks sparkling clean. No ill effects to be reported in my case.

Having battled dinos already, so nervous the Chemiclean will throw off the biodiversity balance and cause other crap to get a shot at taking over. A lot of people say it works awesome with no ill effects, then you here the few horror stories of dinos or green turf algae.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am going to turn off the white lights on my xr15 pros for 5-7 days. I also have the t5 hybrid fixture with 2 blue plus bulbs, one actinic, and one coral plus. Should I turn off those too since they probably have a decent amount of white spectrum in them?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 50 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 58 55.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 24.0%
  • None.

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.7%

Back