To cover or not to cover, that is the question.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
screen cover?

A few days ago, a clownfish in my tank got spooked. He jumped up, hit the screen and bounced back into the water. Without a lid he might be dead. This was with me around, I have to assume they do this when I am not around as well.
I wasn't so lucky a while back; clown jumped out of a shallow tank and became jerky. Needless to say, I wouldn't consider going topless again.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I should have a lid, because I have a clown pair, a goby, and a dottyback. All 3 of these species are known for jumping, but none of them have showed any signs yet?

However, I still should probably have one.

Snuffy The Seal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a clownfish jump out in the late evening. Don't know why and I didn't spot him until the next morning on the floor. A damsel was spooked by a new fish I put in the tank and jumped out right in front of me. I was lucky to be there. I am a firm believer in having a lid after these episodes.
Literally saw my diamond goby sprint up to the top of my tank and just try to leap out and hit the mesh yesterday, would of been 50 dollars gone right there lids should be a number 1 necessity imo

Snuffy The Seal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like I should have a lid, because I have a clown pair, a goby, and a dottyback. All 3 of these species are known for jumping, but none of them have showed any signs yet?

However, I still should probably have one.
It feels super on off. Last tank I had no one jump, and this one ive had 3 fish jump. Could be related to nocturnal inverts and how fish sleep/rest but id get it before money goes down the drain.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For me, it's not about the money as much as it's about the life of an animal I'm trying to keep. I don't want my livestock to die horrible deaths. Considering fish can live hours out of water, I'd call suffocating on the floor a pretty horrible death. Feels awful losing something to that.

Spieg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been over 10 years since I had an escape (yellow coris wrasse), but I have a euro-brace tank. I've watched fish several times make an attempt but they've always bolted toward the glass and then turn vertical so they hit the euro-brace rather than fly out of the tank. If I had a rimless tank I'd probably get a cover.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back