To dip, or not to dip, that is the question.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the first two corals for the 120 as a test its a Kenya tree and rosta zoas.

I have some coral rx I picked up as well

Now I've never dipped any coral just always threw them in, I always got them small and closely inspected the frag. Im getting back into the hobby and trying diffrent approaches on allot of things so far so good.

Never dipped before, should I do it now?

16278462477131737819682539409094.jpg

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many different thoughts here.
I think dipping should be used when a pest or symptom is present, not routinely.
Thats what I'm leaning to but right now I'm some what pest free (accept snails, and starfish) and wanna stay that way. But the frags looks good visually..

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dip unless I see something wrong. Last Dec I got 15 or so frags from WWC and suggest to just go straight in the tanks after a 15 minute float for temp. They say if you going to dip do very light and for a short time being that the corals are stressed from shipping.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't dip unless I see something wrong. Last Dec I got 15 or so frags from WWC and suggest to just go straight in the tanks after a 15 minute float for temp. They say if you going to dip do very light and for a short time being that the corals are stressed from shipping.
Very good info thank you

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after considering the lack of experience using coral rx I decided to do a thorough visual inspection a little scraping now fresh water soak is all im going to do..

Attachments

• 16278536120844909015179305187875.jpg
    16278536120844909015179305187875.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 34

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything except am careful with smooth Acros. Dip, visual inspection (magnifying glass), scrape and brush plug if I cant remove it from the frag and finally a wee spritz of hydrogen peroxide on the plug if a lot of algae present.
Or you can just take it out of the bag and throw it in your tank LOL

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe I've ever lost a coral as a result of Bayer dipping. But I'm sure I've saved myself some headache.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything except am careful with smooth Acros. Dip, visual inspection (magnifying glass), scrape and brush plug if I cant remove it from the frag and finally a wee spritz of hydrogen peroxide on the plug if a lot of algae present.
Or you can just take it out of the bag and throw it in your tank LOL
Very good information and choices thank you! You have me thinking about the spritz the zoa is mostly green algae but its reef safe ;) thanks for your info

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe I've ever lost a coral as a result of Bayer dipping. But I'm sure I've saved myself some headache.
I'm not against bayer in fact I need to learn more about the subject as a whole, I only asked originally because I didn't have bayer I only purchased the coral rx today..but ended up being chicken and only f.w dipped.

That being said very nice frags and great selection at the coral coral in Oldsmar if you haven't been its worth the trip its! 1.5hrs from me and I've been the past two weekends :) coming up with excuses for going next weekend!

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral RX as per bottle, followed by Bayer (1:10 ratio for 5 min), followed by hydrogen peroxide (1:4 ratio for 5 min; only if I see the plug has more algae than I’d like)… this has worked well for me.

I also had a hammer that bailed a head and I used the Coral RX 2-3x per week for two weeks and was able to save the few remaining polyps such that the head is growing back! It saved my hammer for sure.

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good information and choices thank you! You have me thinking about the spritz the zoa is mostly green algae but its reef safe ;) thanks for your info

If you can I highly recommend removing the coral from its' original plug and remounting it. Almost all the bad stuff that can't be removed by dipping, like eggs, will be under the coral or on the plug.
In the attached pic the coral on the left was obviously not coming off the plug but the one on the right I took off the plug and remounted with epoxy and superglue. I don't know anything about zoas and whether they can be removed from the plug or not
Red Planet and Orange Passion.jpg

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Coral RX as per bottle, followed by Bayer (1:10 ratio for 5 min), followed by hydrogen peroxide (1:4 ratio for 5 min; only if I see the plug has more algae than I’d like)… this has worked well for me.

I also had a hammer that bailed a head and I used the Coral RX 2-3x per week for two weeks and was able to save the few remaining polyps such that the head is growing back! It saved my hammer for sure.
Ok so not just for the initial introduction of the coral, thats interesting and good to know

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can I highly recommend removing the coral from its' original plug and remounting it. Almost all the bad stuff that can't be removed by dipping, like eggs, will be under the coral or on the plug.
In the attached pic the coral on the left was obviously not coming off the plug but the one on the right I took off the plug and remounted with epoxy and superglue. I don't know anything about zoas and whether they can be removed from the plug or not
Red Planet and Orange Passion.jpg
I was looking at both of them thinking, I bet someone that knew what they were doing would remove these...they both looked barely attached, but with flow and all that I kept them on the plug..

thank you for the correct advice! im going to do more research on this stuff, I've heard good advice like this, and now I'm thinking more about coral, reef health and pests! these were a impulse buy and I told my self to wait for coral, I need to wait! I need to learn :)

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the first two corals for the 120 as a test its a Kenya tree and rosta zoas.

I have some coral rx I picked up as well

Now I've never dipped any coral just always threw them in, I always got them small and closely inspected the frag. Im getting back into the hobby and trying diffrent approaches on allot of things so far so good.

Never dipped before, should I do it now?

16278462477131737819682539409094.jpg
I don't, not for 25 years and realize its a risk....a calculated one imo , but risky no less. I have my fair share of pests, vermetid snails, had Aiptasia but for now eradicated, Asterina stars, etc. I manage to keep them under control.... one day I will likely get bitten in the behind lol.

Magic City Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend removing the coral from its' original plug and remounting it
+1!!! Definitely recommend removing the plugs. It sucks to lose a portion of the frag but it’s worth it because that’s where the eggs are usually found.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 144 61.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 65 27.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.2%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.4%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.1%
Back