To dip, or not to dip, that is the question.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't, not for 25 years and realize its a risk....a calculated one imo , but risky no less. I have my fair share of pests, vermetid snails, had Aiptasia but for now eradicated, Asterina stars, etc. I manage to keep them under control.... one day I will likely get bitten in the behind lol.
Heck Yes I like it!! I have always been in that same boat! Ive always had good luck and with that same list of pests and under "control"...Only lately getting back into the hobby pretty hard, I've been wondering about the other boats and diffrent paths down the reef aquarium journey. I think I wanna do things better than I use to, being pro active over my usual hoping for good luck.
But I'm with you, that's pretty much what I did today acclamation and f.w dip for a min in they went...

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas opened up quick, it might take the Kenya tree a few days its upset at me.....

Attachments

• 20210801_191826.jpg
    20210801_191826.jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 20210801_175422.jpg
    20210801_175422.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 21

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas opened up quick, it might take the Kenya tree a few days its upset at me.....
Yup, my Kenya's always go through cycles....one week happy, then 3 or 4 days shriveled up. Mine just enacted its latest major pout actually, as I look at the tank lol....

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up the first two corals for the 120 as a test its a Kenya tree and rosta zoas.

I have some coral rx I picked up as well

Now I've never dipped any coral just always threw them in, I always got them small and closely inspected the frag. Im getting back into the hobby and trying diffrent approaches on allot of things so far so good.

Never dipped before, should I do it now?

16278462477131737819682539409094.jpg
Yes I would always dip, and I will give you a good example why. I bought a montipora frag recently. I dipped it initially before it went into the QT about 2 weeks ago with Coral Rx, and a few days ago, I noticed some white spots growing on it. I dipped it again today, and literally dozens of larvae came out of it. You never know what kind of parasites are potentially growing in your corals even if you don't see them.

Last edited:

Tbg299

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on the rx alone without using in combination with bayer.

Any standard procedure with the rx that works well?
Personally, I would never use Bayer. It is a pesticide that contains carcinogenic compounds. Coral RX is made from natural oil extracts.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would never use Bayer. It is a pesticide that contains carcinogenic compounds. Coral RX is made from natural oil extracts.
So far now since then,, all my new corals i have done in coralrx. now I won't put a single coral in the d.t with out it, I've too seen worms swimming off, and other unidentifiable junk.
So yes I am now sold and will at the bare minimum dip all new corals in coralrx, plus it smells fantastic! Thanks for the info r2r community!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back