To Drill or not to Drill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
R2R,
I hope everyone is having a swell reefing day. My question is when should I drill my rock to insert the acrylic rods for aquascaping before or after curing? I don't want to risk having rock out of the water too long while drilling but I could be wrong please shed light. Thanks.

Modest

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What risks do you see when having rock out of the water too long while curing has still to be done?

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After the curing is done I should have been more clear and elaborated on that. So drill before or after cure
before hand, there should be no risk. I have never drilled rock so I wanted the advice of the community

HCl+NaHO=

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the curing is done I should have been more clear and elaborated on that. So drill before or after cure
before hand, there should be no risk. I have never drilled rock so I wanted the advice of the community

What kind of rock do you have?

Some is very porous and drills easy

Some is harder than concrete

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they ship live rock it's wrapped in a wet newspaper to keep it from drying out. If you're worried you can do the same, but I don't think you need to.

Johnnybananas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d do it before just in case it takes longer then you think that way there is no worry about losing any bacteria

Steve_Skullsplitter0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
R2R,
I hope everyone is having a swell reefing day. My question is when should I drill my rock to insert the acrylic rods for aquascaping before or after curing? I don't want to risk having rock out of the water too long while drilling but I could be wrong please shed light. Thanks.
I take mature pieces out and drill them only takes 5 or 10 mins. In low tide alot of rock and corals are exposed in ocean for hours. I say do it.even have feather dusters, zoas, shrooms on it they act like no big deal after couple mins.

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I take mature pieces out and drill them only takes 5 or 10 mins. In low tide alot of rock and corals are exposed in ocean for hours. I say do it.even have feather dusters, zoas, shrooms on it they act like no big deal after couple mins.
Thank you very much now that makees really good sense.

mrjoev

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have yet to start drilling my rock. enough for a 210 and 150 gal. I read some place that if you start with a stepper drill bit then your main long hole bit you can control the location of the hole more accurately

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have yet to start drilling my rock. enough for a 210 and 150 gal. I read some place that if you start with a stepper drill bit then your main long hole bit you can control the location of the hole more accurately
I just googled that bit and I am going to use it I will also be using driveway markers instead of the acrylic rods BRS sells.
I hear they are stronger anyways.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Johnnybananas thats what I was worried about bacteria dying off.
I don’t know how long the rock can stay out of water without die off

Hours and hours in a reasonable temperature, assuming we are talking about the majority of bacteria. If anything get a spray bottle of salt water and give it a squirt every now and then so it doesn't dry out.

MikeWatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria should be fine. I have heard keep it moist and it can live for 24hrs. Might be broscience

Tjm23slo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it easier to drill through wet rock or dry rock or really the same?i have some new caribsea liferock. It’s taking time to grind through the dry rock. I hear people say 5 minutes, I’m thinking for a single joke?

OP
OP
Deezill

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it easier to drill through wet rock or dry rock or really the same?i have some new caribsea liferock. It’s taking time to grind through the dry rock. I hear people say 5 minutes, I’m thinking for a single joke?
I have never drilled so it will be quite the experience

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 137 60.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 64 28.2%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 81 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 39 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 63 27.8%
Back