To feed or not to feed anemones (bta)

JazzChing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told that anemones are photosynthetic, and some people wasn’t feeding anemones at all. Are those special cases for special anemones or is it a MUST feeding anemones ?
68A68A29-5D19-42CB-8521-CFCD37E40CAA.jpeg

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been told that anemones are photosynthetic, and some people wasn’t feeding anemones at all. Are those special cases for special anemones or is it a MUST feeding anemones ?
68A68A29-5D19-42CB-8521-CFCD37E40CAA.jpeg
I suggest feeding cuz it will pull out better colors and generally really good health.

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it will pull out better colors and generally really good health.
Utter nonsense brotherclownfish. Mine are as colorful as a fed one and healthy as a nem can get. Feeding will increase size for a while, but most will split into multiple nems after increase in size. Its why I stopped feeding.

holdthecoffee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to feed mine, just cool to watch it pull it's tentacles close to it's mouth.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never feed m BTA and its been years. Colors are vibrant and it grows large even without feeding. Now it may catch some stuff on its own and sometimes my clowns give it something.

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been feeding mine and it’s really healthy but the problem is they split too much when they get a good size. I’m going to stop now. Currently have 4 now in less than 4 months

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to feed. I don't feed them directly, but occasionally they'll get a pellet or 2 when I'm feeding my clownfish.

If you do feed them, give them smaller things. Do not feed them whole silversides or things like that. And if they "poop", then you've over feed.

Reef Jockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME, nems don't have to be fed. you can if you want but like most have mentioned, feeding will make them grow quicker. I've started with 4 nems 3 months ago and fed them twice during that time. I gave away 3 nems already and I still have 4. I need to get rid of more.. they split so often

RC51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Utter nonsense brotherclownfish. Mine are as colorful as a fed one and healthy as a nem can get. Feeding will increase size for a while, but most will split into multiple nems after increase in size. Its why I stopped feeding.
Depends i guess. I personally like them splitting because its extra cash for me

OP
OP
J

JazzChing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont need any food, but if you do feed it can make them grow larger. I have 150 from 1 original rbta and I never feed. I did feed one and it grew larger. But the rest were all very very healthy, like this picture of unfed nems
20210924_205630.jpg
Hi thanks for your sharing. I only feed the tank with very least amount of pallets food for my fish as I wanted to maintain good water parameters and I don’t even feed my LPS too. In this case, can the nem only rely on the light ?

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the new growth a baby, in just 2 days since the first pic was taken. I have no idea where the bottom left came from. And the baby top left was there this morning
new growth.jpg

OP
OP
J

JazzChing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the new growth a baby, in just 2 days since the first pic was taken. I have no idea where the bottom left came from. And the baby top left was there this morning
new growth.jpg
Thats amazing!! Can you provide some tips or experience keeping healthy bta ? Or any strange behaviour showing them uncomfortable and unhealthy. Appropriate a lot !

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you provide some tips or experience keeping healthy bta ?
They hate to much light, for 5 years I had no growth. Turned my lights down to 10% B and 1 % W in a 30" deep tank, and now growth is back to normal. I do keep clean water, and do monthly 100g water changes in a 300g system. Been using vibrant for 2 months, and all bad algae long gone.

These are easy to keep, as are my branching hammers and a lobo I have. The 1 Nem I started with almost 30 years ago is still in my tank somewhere, or in these fractionally as their parent

Falreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
new growth.jpg
Are these perhaps majano?

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't actively fed my BTAs in years. Though the particles are very small, I suppose they might grab some of the zooplankton I broadcast feed twice a week.

They're very healthy, and I have way too many of them now.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back