To good to be true??

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, left field second opinions please.
I am new tank shopping, research stage. I had my options narrowed down to 3-5 (I will post a thread to share later). In that process, I came across what appeared to be a ridiculously good deal, almost to good to be true (forgive the lack of full details).

A major brand well known in the industry. A major online retailer has tanks listed as: 60” = $3100, 72” = $4450, 96” = $5400. Free shipping, and this was same price at a few major retailers.

What is listed at a smaller vendor online site (referencing the exact same tank specs as items above) not including shipping (which would be at least an extra $500?); 60” = $2800, 72” = $1450, 96” = $5100. An average savings of $300, plus shipping, so it would be more expensive.

Wait. Wait. Did you catch that above. For the 72”. I had to do a double check. Had to be a typo (no, not my typo, listed in website typo), right? Hmm. So I emailed. And I got this back (see attached).

Out of 5 tanks, this was top 3 contender. At that price, I’d be a fool not to pick. But my gut feels like something has to be wrong. A major brand tank at half the price? I almost didn’t want to share this but my thoughts are obsessed now. I need second opinion. Should I call or text the vendor and speak to someone in person? Should I risk it and order the tank? Thoughts??
7F14C771-C2DD-41E5-8725-21AC29292EE2.jpeg

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something does not make sense.
The vendor did not clarify the price, only both items sold together.
If it’s too good to be true.........

Marco S

Always Learning
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what brand you are talking about but if it is Red Sea then that would make sense. They just went through a pretty bad PR nightmare when a larger than normal number of their Reefer 750 XXL tanks, (72") failed due to seems busting and or tanks cracking. The retailer in question may be having a hard time selling them and is just trying to get rid of them at whatever price they can.

The issue was investigated and Red Sea did release a statement that the stands were at fault because there was not enough support in the front center area causing the stand to sag and the tank to fail because of it. They did send all registered owners a kit to add support and all new tanks come with this kit, but even with that a lot of people are skeptical now.

With that said, that is a great price as long as it comes with the new kit and if it does fail Red Sea has been great with replacing tanks and they extended the warranty for those tanks for a few years now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what brand you are talking about but if it is Red Sea then that would make sense. They just went through a pretty bad PR nightmare when a larger than normal number of their Reefer 750 XXL tanks, (72") failed due to seems busting and or tanks cracking. The retailer in question may be having a hard time selling them and is just trying to get rid of them at whatever price they can.

The issue was investigated and Red Sea did release a statement that the stands were at fault because there was not enough support in the front center area causing the stand to sag and the tank to fail because of it. They did send all registered owners a kit to add support and all new tanks come with this kit, but even with that a lot of people are skeptical now.

With that said, that is a great price as long as it comes with the new kit and if it does fail Red Sea has been great with replacing tanks and they extended the warranty for those tanks for a few years now.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Not a Redsea. And I did read that about the stands. And if that was the scenario I would buy and reinforce the stand myself.

I did message the retailer again. To clear it up, so they could fix the typo if that was the case. Or to confirm for me and I would have a winner by default.

I’ll let you know what happens if you are curious....

OP
OP
dreamcatcherr9

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was a typo. They just changed to $4450 (like I suspected), after I texted them! I didn’t get a response though, only saw the change on the website.

It would have been nice to get a thank you from them, for pointing out the typo. No acknowledgement what so ever. I almost regret not ordering it and fighting the fight for them to honor the price.

Back to the tank search....

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would have made no difference if you had ordered it! Almost all sellers have a disclaimer about not being responsible for wrong pricing. You would have just created a refund hassle.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back