Votes: 21 17.6%

• Total voters

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I think GSP gets a bad name because you can't charge people $700 a polyp even if you name it ultra super hyper out of this world green star polyps. Now, if it was a super slow growing rare coral at the price everybody would love the look.

Somehow between the hobbyists a wall full of GSP doesnt elicit the same response as a quarter sized $2500 polyp

Here is a pic from my previous setup. Fellow reef keepers always gave me grief over GSP, non-reef keepers always said WOW! when they came over. WOW was good enough for me. ;)

1600110499567.png

1600110512583.png

1600110533232.png

1600110548884.png

1600110560494.png

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think GSP gets a bad name because you can't charge people $700 a polyp even if you name it ultra super hyper out of this world green star polyps. Now, if it was a super slow growing rare coral at the price everybody would love the look.

Somehow between the hobbyists a wall full of GSP doesnt elicit the same response as a quarter sized $2500 polyp

Here is a pic from my previous setup. Fellow reef keepers always gave me grief over GSP, non-reef keepers always said WOW! when they came over. WOW was good enough for me. ;)

1600110499567.png

1600110512583.png

1600110533232.png

1600110548884.png

1600110560494.png
Looks good to me I’m a fan of it

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seem to struggle with GSP.

Years ago I had it growing over a lot of stuff. It died out and I put a new frag disc in a few years ago. I tried to get it established between some mushrooms and brown palys..nope GSP was losing. Moved the disc to another spot and is just died out. I even had a couple of pieces growing well on my overflow and they both died out.

Palys and mushrooms are the real estate hogs in my tank.

Martin Turrubiates

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have branching and non branching love both of them noob coral not noob coral looks beautiful and like a couple buddies of mine have said you do what makes you happy for your reef it’s your dream reef and as long as your happy trysts all that matters

DennisRoach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new build and thinking about adding GSP to grow up on the back wall. I did this in my last tank and loved it. I felt the GSP would tell me if tank is off, meaning it was always the first to close if tank parameters are off so knew to take action such as water change, test etc. I know all the pro reefers think it is a noob coral but its funny when someone whom never seen a reef tank gravitates towards the GSP from it swaying in the water column and bringing tons of life and movement to the tank.

So my question is would you add GSP to a 250g mixed reef tank?
For sure... It always gets such a bad rep, that and xenia... But if you are mindful of your placement the colors and movement are huge boosts for me. Not to mention how fast it can grow. Really helps you feel and see the progress of maturation.

Laustinthought

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had gsp’s in my 1st reef tank and loved them until it took over. I’ve avoided it ever since... until I discovered the branching form!! I bought a frag last winter and it’s awesome! Everything you love about gsp’s except that they grow up and out instead of blanketing everything.

OP
OP
Forshurley

Forshurley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had gsp’s in my 1st reef tank and loved them until it took over. I’ve avoided it ever since... until I discovered the branching form!! I bought a frag last winter and it’s awesome! Everything you love about gsp’s except that they grow up and out instead of blanketing everything.
do you have any pictures of your branching GSP?

ReefHomieJon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics??

Biggest Little Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20200928_235744807_iOS (2).jpg

I've always liked GSP. It's got attention grabbing motion and neon green color. I agree with just about everyone else's advice, though. Make sure you keep this on its own island. You do not want this stuff getting on your main structure. It grows very fast and it's very difficult to remove. It's also extremely mean! I let mine get too close to one of my very large elegance corals and it clearly burnt the tips of the tentacles.

Another tip I recently learned is to put a frag plug in it's direction of growth. Let it grow onto the plug, then remove the plug and replace it with a new one. This will help keep the growth in check and gives you endless frags to give to friends or sell to your LFS.

RT2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
who has some big chunks avail?? i need some for my back glass!!!

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it on a lone rock. That rock now touches another, but that is my paly/zoa/mushroom section, so we'll see if it spread or if I place something at the edge to keep the gsp from spreading. Main rock work is protected.
20201014_120502_resized.jpg

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this GSP for about 3 years now. There is a small hand sized rock under it but it is at least 12"x 10" tall now. I used to cut it back around the rock but just let it go. It stacks on top of itself growing higher and out. I really need to get it out but I hate to loose it, it is so intricate the way it's growing.

I thought about starting it on my back glass but don't know if I'd regret it later on....

GSP2.jpg

This is what it looked like 3 years ago...

GSP1-1.jpg

Back