To Gyre or not to Gyre...?

Asbury030

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the title kind of says it all... I have a 90 reef tank that is mostly zoas, euphyllia and soft corals. I have a MP60QD that I run, but I am wanting to try something different or even just run both of the pumps on the 90...? I also like the top movement of the water with the gyres, but I was wondering what your guys opinions on them is and what brand you prefer more than the other? I'm thinking that if I get one and like it on the 90 I might get one for my 20 high mixed reef also.

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of folks like the gyre, and there are a ton of options now. I've been on the lookout for the Icecap 1K gyre to go on sale for a future build because I think it can do a lot of what a directional powerhead can't.

For a 90 gallon I think it would be a good option, it might be too much for a 20 High though.

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a gyre 3k in my 90gal on ramp setting to a max of 20 or 30 percent. It’s all you need really

OP
OP
Asbury030

Asbury030

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a lot of folks like the gyre, and there are a ton of options now. I've been on the lookout for the Icecap 1K gyre to go on sale for a future build because I think it can do a lot of what a directional powerhead can't.

For a 90 gallon I think it would be a good option, it might be too much for a 20 High though.

You think even the 1k with just one side of the pump with the other side capped off would still be too much?

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think even the 1k with just one side of the pump with the other side capped off would still be too much?
I forgot you could take off a side of the pump :rolleyes: that would probably make it more suitable for the 20H.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no complaints with the gyre pumps. I run two 230's on my Reefer 250 (3' tank). They have been on the tank for a year or so, I've only taken each pump apart once. When they get dirty or covered in coraline I take the pumps off any the tank run in vinegar for an hour or so and put back on the tank.

The gyre pumps work well for me because I can put them high on the tank and it is harder for my kids to reach the magnets at the moment.

overclockwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the first generation XF-150 on a 6' 125G and I love how much usable flow it had.

However, it's a chore to clean the unit since it had so many parts. Also, it's impossible to open the rotor so it's difficult to clean inside it (pipe cleaner, slit by slit...)

When mine stopped working, I decided against getting another one and replaced it with a cheap Jebao pump.

wcharon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What settings are you using it? I tried OGC mode which I liked but it seems to ramp up and down on low flow. Tried LTC and my LPS corals didn't like it. Using it with the Advanced Controller.

Thanks in advance...

jakeh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What settings are you using it? I tried OGC mode which I liked but it seems to ramp up and down on low flow. Tried LTC and my LPS corals didn't like it. Using it with the Advanced Controller.

Thanks in advance...

I forget what it’s called it’s the one with the small arrow a bigger arrow and another arrow bigger than that 10-20-30 I have put mine in alternating gyre and it was nice but I like way my nems and torches wave with the setting I currently have the slow progression pulse as explained it gives that true ocean current look

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really like my Ice Cap 1Ks that I put on my 50g cube. They replaced 2 MP10s that just weren't cutting it for me. I really needed the 40s.

I plan to run the 1Ks on my new 120. By themselves I don't think they'll be enough so I'll throw a couple Tunze 6045s on as well that I have laying around. The 1K pushes water out of my tank (really close at least since I didn't dare keep going) after 60%. My tank is 24" wide so I easily see them pushing water 4 feet at 100%. Their flow pattern is so different from everything else and I really like it.

At $130, it doesn't kill the wallet either if you don't love it. For the extra $20 you can have the 3K though and really move some water.

Projecttrinh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the first generation XF-150 on a 6' 125G and I love how much usable flow it had.

However, it's a chore to clean the unit since it had so many parts. Also, it's impossible to open the rotor so it's difficult to clean inside it (pipe cleaner, slit by slit...)

When mine stopped working, I decided against getting another one and replaced it with a cheap Jebao pump.

THIS.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A gyre on one side, and the mp40 on the back wall on the other side, is a great flow configuration.

They provide great flow, just not as durable as other pumps and need more regular cleaning.

timrocks311

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really am sold on the Icecap 1k gyre for my 40 breeder. As soon as I can dig up some money I think I'm buying one. I was originally sold on an MP10 or two, but I think the gyre by itself will be suitable and much cheaper. I think one 3k gyre would be good for a 90 with softies, zoas and some LPS.

slayerhellfire

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the title kind of says it all... I have a 90 reef tank that is mostly zoas, euphyllia and soft corals. I have a MP60QD that I run, but I am wanting to try something different or even just run both of the pumps on the 90...? I also like the top movement of the water with the gyres, but I was wondering what your guys opinions on them is and what brand you prefer more than the other? I'm thinking that if I get one and like it on the 90 I might get one for my 20 high mixed reef also.
I hate the grye it has a ton of parts to it, mine broke twice

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back