To Gyre or not to Gyre...?

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a single Maxspect Gyre 230 in a 75g mixed reef. Other than the sump return, it's the only circulation in the system. I would most definitely do this again. Tons of flow, very customizable and very secure. Maintenance is indeed a little more tricky than most powerheads, but not difficult at all after you've done it once or twice.
The Icecap models are Maxspects, AFAIK.

I agree that most folks will have a time with taking the gyre apart for the first time until they realize taking the motor block apart is not hard just have to do it right with proper ways.
Putting it back together is easy, just a few bushings on each side that press into the end holes or on the shaft, then place rotor blades in correct orientation then the external cages.
Proper spacing of the bushings on the ceramic shaft will keep them from being too tight against the motor block housing, this will cause excessive drag on the motor and it will sense it as an error and not run the pump.
If this happens just pop the outer cages off and use a pair of stout tweezers between the motor block and bushing to space it out a bit more and put the cages back on and the unit will run normally.
In time or a few times of cleaning the pump you can easily break one down completely and put it back together in a few minutes or less.
Any pump we use should be cleaned regularly and is one of the things Most folks do not do OR do not do a complete job on by just running the unit in a bucket of vinegar which is not cleaning any pump internals.
Gunk and calcium deposits will still be in the inside of bearings and such , thus causing more drag on the pump or causing damage over time and finally failure.
No pump can be expected to run forever without proper cleaning no matter the brand or cost.

Maxspect and Ice cap are two different companies, not opinion here just fact.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a cube ( same as yours, with rock half way up and along the back of the tank how will that affect the flow of the gyre
Just depends on where you place it and direct the flow. My rock is wide open and very little of it. You can always place it on the black glass, vertically and shoot the water towards the front and around

markster33139

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that most folks will have a time with taking the gyre apart for the first time until they realize taking the motor block apart is not hard just have to do it right with proper ways.
Putting it back together is easy, just a few bushings on each side that press into the end holes or on the shaft, then place rotor blades in correct orientation then the external cages.
Proper spacing of the bushings on the ceramic shaft will keep them from being too tight against the motor block housing, this will cause excessive drag on the motor and it will sense it as an error and not run the pump.
If this happens just pop the outer cages off and use a pair of stout tweezers between the motor block and bushing to space it out a bit more and put the cages back on and the unit will run normally.
In time or a few times of cleaning the pump you can easily break one down completely and put it back together in a few minutes or less.
Any pump we use should be cleaned regularly and is one of the things Most folks do not do OR do not do a complete job on by just running the unit in a bucket of vinegar which is not cleaning any pump internals.
Gunk and calcium deposits will still be in the inside of bearings and such , thus causing more drag on the pump or causing damage over time and finally failure.
No pump can be expected to run forever without proper cleaning no matter the brand or cost.

I take my Gyre 250 out of my tank and soak in vinegar for 1 hour every 30 days and brush it down with a toothbrush afterwards. I have been doing this for about 18 months now, and I have never actually taken it apart. I believe by soaking it completely in vinegar the crud never gets a chance to build up, and also alleviates any worries about disassembling the pump.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Ice Cap licenses the technology FROM Maxspect since Maxspect owns the technology.

My Ice Cap has like 2 parts, the outer cage and the propeller to clean. I can leave the cord and motor in/by the tank if needed and clean both parts at the sink real quick. It really is super easy.

Not quite as nice and easy as the Vortech but better than a Tunze IME.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing with gyres that is VERY misleading is the gph ratings. Because you could take a 3,000 gph pump, stick it next to the 3K gyre and the pump could be on full speed, barely doing much, while the gyre is making the water slosh over your tank at half speed. Meaning that a 3K gyre is in no way equivalent to a 3K pump. That wall of water it moves is so much more efficient than a pump. But the cost is extra maintenance.

I have both the Maxspect 250 (newer controller) and the Icecap 3K. The Maxspect is better quality parts, but more maintenance if you want to keep the parts running correctly. It seems like the Icecap doesn't have as many little pieces to take apart and it performs just as well if you're operating in the same range as the Maxspect. They are difficult to place in the tank though. It's a lot of watch and see.

If I were using a 90, I would go with two smaller gyres over a single big one. I think the flow would benefit more that way. But that's an area where Maxspects are better because you can plug two into one controller and the controller is a lot more customizable.

The only problem I've encountered with the Icecap 3K is the controller led decided to display upside down. I opened a ticket for it, but my power had flickered and made it go back to normal. Then they wanted a picture of it and now it won't break again, lol. I'll probably get stuck with it broken when the warranty is up.

But yeah, gyres are great for getting water through and around rock work.

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before and after. Simple warm water and vinegar bath, scrub with a brush and back into the tank. Routine maintenance for me once the pump is completely purple.

3B619B4B-8573-4885-BAF1-3A1DEFE2A904.png

8573F09C-BFC1-4470-B6FE-FDFBFE052676.jpeg

justjes45

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I HAVE and LIKE my Gyre. I have one Gyre in my 40 gal tank, on the left side wall, and the flow seems good. I am tempted to add another small pump on the back wall...? I see videos of the anemones and frog spawn etc wiggling around in all different directions, and mine seem so stagnant and even... I would love some more motion...

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can create a gyre flow with virtually any powerhead.

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realize this, but I am wondering if I should ( or if u can) have two flow units in a 40 gal tank. Benefits vs harm?

You can have as many as you want. Put 1 or 20. All you need is enough flow so that polyps are moving around some.

tangtime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For example on my 180 I run 2 two rw 15’s on opposite sides. One runs creating a gyre in one direction for a few minutes, then It turns off and the other runs for a few minutes back and forth alternating off/on.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ice Cap licenses the technology FROM Maxspect since Maxspect owns the technology.

My Ice Cap has like 2 parts, the outer cage and the propeller to clean. I can leave the cord and motor in/by the tank if needed and clean both parts at the sink real quick. It really is super easy.

Not quite as nice and easy as the Vortech but better than a Tunze IME.

I understand who owns the technology of the gyre motor and design, still they are two different companies.
My GMC diesel truck has an Isuzu motor in it from factory still doesn't make it a GM motor. ;)

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the original 150 the first month it came out.i think it was 4 years ago.loved it from the start and still use it today.it IS NOT difficult to take apart or maintain once you do it the first time.for those first timers watch a video!once you see carlos from coralvue do it on youtube, you will understand it.
I have found over the years of changing around flow patterns that it requires a lot less maintenance and the bushings and parts last longer in the constant mode.like a car,stopping and starting or slowing and speeding up take a tole on it.that car that's driven mainly on the highway tends to last longer and require less maintenance.to me the bushings are like tires and will simply ware out over time and miles.i replace the bushings once a year to a year and a half.other wise I pop off the cages spend a few minutes with a tooth brush and vinegar every 5 or 6 months and that's it.to each his own but i'm sticking with this reliable pump.

Last edited:

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I HAVE and LIKE my Gyre. I have one Gyre in my 40 gal tank, on the left side wall, and the flow seems good. I am tempted to add another small pump on the back wall...? I see videos of the anemones and frog spawn etc wiggling around in all different directions, and mine seem so stagnant and even... I would love some more motion...
I have the same pump and tank. How do you have the gyre setup? If you don't mind, what mode are you running your gyre?

msduarte99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Brazil and new here in this forum.
I have a 40g tank with two italian Rossmont Movers (900 and 1200gph, one at each side) and the controller.
I am satisfied with the flow but not with the position of one of them, because of my angle of view.
So I was thinking about changing all of them for a Maxspect Gyre (just one side) with the controller.
Do you think it's worth it?

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm from Brazil and new here in this forum.
I have a 40g tank with two italian Rossmont Movers (900 and 1200gph, one at each side) and the controller.
I am satisfied with the flow but not with the position of one of them, because of my angle of view.
So I was thinking about changing all of them for a Maxspect Gyre (just one side) with the controller.
Do you think it's worth it?

Welcome to R2R !!
Of course Opinions will vary with anything related to reefing.
In my opinion there is no pump out there that can create the flow of a maxspect gyre, Plus they can be placed toward the top of the tank glass almost out of view completely without sucking in air. Gyres can also be placed vertically in a corner to create different flow around the tank.
With the Rossmont Movers being capable of good flow patterns coupled with their controller I personally think you could create some Gnarly flow in your tank with combining a gyre along with them.
Definitely would not have any dead spots LOL.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 109 87.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back