To manifold or NOT to manifild that is the question.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to start up a conversation on the pros and cons of running a manifold.

I was thinking for the new system to run one. but now I am pausing to think for a min.

system specs
RS reefer 650P- LPS dominate but mixed reef
if I run a manifold it would feed:

UV
ATS
maybe a media reactor prob. carbon

tank will have AWC of around 1 gal a day.

I already have a RT pump with the flow rate for it.

so I guess my question is, is there any benifets of running manifolds or keeeping gear on there own pumps?
lats talk about this..

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a rather large manifold system under my tank, with at least four ports, all of them using gate valves. I find them very useful for protein skimmers, and even had a DIY algae scrubber hooked up for a time. It’s pretty amazing what can be run/powered off one pump, using a manifold. That being said, I am only currently using one port, and wonder if four was a bit of an overkill (?) but it is there in the future again, should I ever need it.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I won't run UV off manifold. I will always run it to tanks return.

Pros for manifold is obviously less pump in the sump. If you have spare output, then add equipment is easy.

Cons for manifold:
  1. Head pressure on all outputs are connected. Changing one will affect others. It's worse when you have UV in the line which requires more consistent flow rates.
  2. More complex plumbing, even worse when space is limited like under cabinet.
  3. Configurability vs space limitation. If your equipment to feed all comes with different input size, you either need to plan them all out and matching their size, or use adapters. I used to have NPT endings, so that I can change the connector out. But working with them under cabinet and making sure they don't leak is a lot harder than drop a pump. The better way is true union ball valves on each output, but those things are big. That goes back to the limit space problem.
  4. If you didn't plan enough outputs, adding more means redo big part of the plumbing. If you add too many, that's a big waste of space.
In my old tank, every time I moved with it, I did fewer manifold, until now there is none. That said, in my new tank, I still added a manifold. But I choose to use quick connects to make it, with a pvc union ball valve as master connector from the main plumbing. It will solve the space and difficult plumbing part. But flow capacity is quite limited. I'll see how it goes this time.
PXL_20200906_053919274.jpg

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest one for me is what @zsxking has as #1. If you’re going to have a manifold, have it run by it’s own pump. Don’t have it plumbed into the return pump because you’ll have to keep messing with stuff as reactors get plugged up etc. I want my overflow to be dialed in, and stay silent. I don’t have a ton of reactors. If I did run one it would be for GFO, and I have it on a separate maxijet.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used manifolds in the past, but removed them for the reasons others have listed. If it's just for carbon and the occasional GFO reactors, then there is little problem because the flow rate through the carbon isn't all that critical - you adjust the flow for the GFO and whatever is left goes to the carbon. I have found, at least for me, that separate pumps works better and take up very little room in the sump.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys sorry for the late replay we got evacuated yesterday due to a fire so limited wifi.

anyway yeah you can see why I am having trouble deciding to manifold or not .

at the very least i would need 2 pumps = more $$ and cords prob would go with a DC controllable pump like the IM mighty jet. to feed the ATS and UV around $200

BUT...
if I go manifold I would need plumping parts at least $50 maybe more just for it. + time and a few F bombs.

IDK I keep gooing back in forth but I do need to decide in the next week 2 max so I can get the stuff ordered and the plumbing done.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe take one big sectionof return pvc 2-3 feet long coming from the pump and put a union valve on either end of the section. That way in the future if you ever decide to drop one or more manifolds, you can just remove that stretch and do it right there.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys sorry for the late replay we got evacuated yesterday due to a fire so limited wifi.

anyway yeah you can see why I am having trouble deciding to manifold or not .

at the very least i would need 2 pumps = more $$ and cords prob would go with a DC controllable pump like the IM mighty jet. to feed the ATS and UV around $200

BUT...
if I go manifold I would need plumping parts at least $50 maybe more just for it. + time and a few F bombs.

IDK I keep gooing back in forth but I do need to decide in the next week 2 max so I can get the stuff ordered and the plumbing done.

Honestly, if you're itching to do a manifold and never did one before, then just do it. You will otherwise always wonder "what if I did a manifold instead". At the very least, the lesson and plumbing skill you get out of that will be worth it.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if you're itching to do a manifold and never did one before, then just do it. You will otherwise always wonder "what if I did a manifold instead". At the very least, the lesson and plumbing skill you get out of that will be worth it.

I did do one on my RS 750 but that never got wet traded it for the 650P
so I have plumbed one but never ran one. :D

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run one manifold for multiple pumps. But with a 3 inch manifold, I can run just about anything. Mine is on the opposite side though. Mine is an input manifold, not output, because I run everything external. I think you are better off running equipment separately. With one exception. I ran UV on my return pump. That way all of my recirculated water was sterilized. But I did that to control an ich outbreak, and have since taken down the UV, like a few weeks ago. You’d need an appropriately sized sterilizer to handle your return flow. All of my equipment has its own pump. Maxijets are wonderful and I use them a lot.
47AA124E-8DDD-40A1-8EB4-F961190FED78.jpeg

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank arrived, stand is build and tank is on....now I am stalled due to this stupid manifold. I think I am way over thinking it .

one day i want to keep it supper clean and just use pumps the next I feel like I need the fancy manifold or I am not reefing with the pros...lol

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank arrived, stand is build and tank is on....now I am stalled due to this stupid manifold. I think I am way over thinking it .

one day i want to keep it supper clean and just use pumps the next I feel like I need the fancy manifold or I am not reefing with the pros...lol

The best thing to do when not sure about manifold is to T out from return line to a true union ball valve. Then you have all the freedom to manifold whatever from there, or not manifold at all.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing to do when not sure about manifold is to T out from return line to a true union ball valve. Then you have all the freedom to manifold whatever from there, or not manifold at all.

that what I had in mind even if I was to do one. so I guess I could go ahead and do that and get the tank wet and decide down the road.

I just dont want to regret not doing it "right" when the tank was empty...

RaymondsWorlddd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’ve always wanted to do a manifold. So I did it. After hard plumbing everything and using a Varios8 as a return, I found that I was only getting a total of 400gph. That was not enough for my UV sterilizer, reactor, and ATS. So I took it apart and got a second pump for only the manifold. I like it like this more now.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that is always an option. that way I have a back up pump in case the the main one goes belly up.

I am also thinking of forgoing the manifold and getting 2 IM mighty jet midsize and use soft plumping it would give me lots of flexibility in the sump and keep it open and clean.
but there around $100 each. then if I want more gear down the road = more pump more $$ and more cords :(

hmmm decisions decisions...
the good think about it all 3 options would work just fine.

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread to see how this went for OP. I am in the same boat. I have dual 1" returns and am thinking of adding media reactors and who knows what else down the line. Not eager to buy a lot of pumps and have them all going. So to manifold or not is the question for me as well.

The big thing for me though is that I don't want to have to keep retuning the overflow so I'm leaning toward either buying some pumps or getting a nice adjustable DC pump and running a manifold off that, where it all returns to the sump. I wonder if you have advice.

OP
OP
Devaji

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving an old thread to see how this went for OP. I am in the same boat. I have dual 1" returns and am thinking of adding media reactors and who knows what else down the line. Not eager to buy a lot of pumps and have them all going. So to manifold or not is the question for me as well.

The big thing for me though is that I don't want to have to keep retuning the overflow so I'm leaning toward either buying some pumps or getting a nice adjustable DC pump and running a manifold off that, where it all returns to the sump. I wonder if you have advice.

man I am doing the slowest build ever...
but ti answer your question I did decide to do a manifold off it's own DC controlable pump to fed the UV ATS and a BRS mini reactor with 1 spare just in case.

still not wet tho pics in my build thread if you want to see what I did. :)

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PXL_20210327_075514242.jpg
I recently changed up my manifold. The previous setup with 3/8 quick connect was too limited in flow. Having a ball valve to shot off the manifold from rest of the tank made the change easy.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 return pumps, and then a third "Accessory" pump, that just goes to a manifold and handles all the misc whatever stuff. That way if I want to just shut down that pump to work on the equipment that's hooked up to it, I can, and nothing really bad happens. The refugium still gets flow, the tank still gets flow, everything is still running.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back