To Manifold or not to manifold

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on new tank design and build. Planet aquarium 235 and trigger 48” sump. Clarisea sk5000 roller mat, bubble king skimmer, two vectra L2 pumps. Uv sterilizer and two brs reactors to hang in the sump.

Question is to run build a manifold with ports for reactors, or to just run inline to return and one with the uv to return, and run the rectors off their own small pumps?

What’s y’all’s experience with manifolds?

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's better to have a manifold and not use it than need it and not have it.

My return pump pushes twice what I need and I wound up using a manifold to re direct water to my algae scrubber and I have a port I will use later on for my co2 reactor.
This uses existing pump and cuts down on power requirements otherwise using other pumps

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add a manifold. Easier to do now than later. Can come in handy down the line. Doing a build now myself and added a 3 port manifold. 1 port for UV, the other 2 to be named later.

OP
OP
J

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d add a manifold. Easier to do now than later. Can come in handy down the line. Doing a build now myself and added a 3 port manifold. 1 port for UV, the other 2 to be named later.
I’m planning to run co2 scrubber off skimmer.
Then one L2 pump to UV then return to tank.
Other L2 pump to manifold then back to return.
Thought in that set up? And if you have any pictures would be greatly appreciated.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a pic of the manifold before I installed and piped it. I can send a pic of that tomorrow. Not sure I follow your setup. Manifold is really if you’re going to run multiple things off your return pump. If you’re going with individual pumps then manifold prob isn’t needed.

Attachments

• E6335858-0070-41C5-89F0-4D2FC3257039.jpeg
    E6335858-0070-41C5-89F0-4D2FC3257039.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 84

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s pretty amazing how useful they can be. Add some. You won’t regret it. Recirculating skimmer, UV, reactors, algae scrubber, getting flow via tubing to another part of your sump, it’s only limited by your imagination.

mmorriso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a manifold, but I do it using a separate pump from my return. This allows me to utilise spigots as needed without changing the flow through the tank. I run my manifold pump dry, as opposed to in my sump, as my manifold is in my laundry / wet room behind my tank. This keeps the tank cabinet as mess free as possible, while maximising the utility of the manifold. I don't see this a lot (Most people seem to favour hard plumbed manifolds in their tank cabinet) but I've had both and I recommend an external manifold if you can.

For your manifold pump, I also think variable speed pumps are a good investment, as you can increase / decrease flow as you use spigots for different applications. It's also handy to have an additional known good pump to hand in case your return pump fails.

OP
OP
J

jonbark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a manifold, but I do it using a separate pump from my return. This allows me to utilise spigots as needed without changing the flow through the tank. I run my manifold pump dry, as opposed to in my sump, as my manifold is in my laundry / wet room behind my tank. This keeps the tank cabinet as mess free as possible, while maximising the utility of the manifold. I don't see this a lot (Most people seem to favour hard plumbed manifolds in their tank cabinet) but I've had both and I recommend an external manifold if you can.

For your manifold pump, I also think variable speed pumps are a good investment, as you can increase / decrease flow as you use spigots for different applications. It's also handy to have an additional known good pump to hand in case your return pump fails.
I like this idea. Thinking I may get a smaller DC pump to run the manifold off. Then have the 2 L2 for the returns.

bday1335

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't, and wish I did. I keep adding new pumps for each accessory added. Regret not doing a manifold. I say go for it! Worst case scenario, you don't use it and waste <$80 in plumbing parts

J Crew

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sent you a DM. Would love some info and to pick your brain on this design. Thanks.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Manifold, then Black Hose to my Bulkheads. Great to be able to tap off of for future Accessories, also keeps my Stainless Steel Hose Clamps away from the Saltwater. I’ve had past problems with even double grip, doubled up plastic hose clamp breaking, and or letting go. BTW, if you have a 24Vdc pump, the fitting on the pump is most likely a British Standard Pipe Thread, “BSPT.” The only place I’ve seen them is on Mc-Master Carrs Website. BSPT X Slip PVC. You will need the gasket, that came with the pump. Schedule 40 pipe, end sanded smooth, fully seated in the Slip fitting. This is to give the Gasket an edge to set on.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back