To monster build or not!

Rc_reefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Ryan also known as @rc_reefers on Instagram. I already have a 250gallon dd tank,a 90gallon tank,and a 80gallon frag tank plumed to the 250 gallon tank.

That’s enough with introductions, I am curious to those with the larger 6,7,8 and 10 ft tanks what you think are the pros and cons to having larger and smaller tanks. Time spent caring for them? Do you do a little every day? Do you constantly find yourself attached to your system? Looking at corals? Fish ? How many of you care for the tanks yourself?

As an owner of all multiple size tanks I can honestly say I clean the 90gallon once a week if that it is my most established system and never has many issues other then over growth. My 250gallon I spend a good amount daily on. The frag tank I feed my tang. However as it sits I am thinking to build a 8 foot tank that would be about 311 gallons give or take but would like to hear from you guys your regrets, your dislikes, your like your achievements and what do you admire the most about your systems. picks or videos would be great if you don’t mind posting

9DA9DAC2-2BA1-4366-BC29-42AC88F6FD35.jpeg 8595DFBE-AFFB-44C3-AFFB-6BF6FF7648FC.jpeg 7B494416-A497-4B7C-BD8B-629299B1053E.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve always had big tanks and so easy to maintain, manage and stock

OP
OP
Rc_reefers

Rc_reefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always had big tanks and so easy to maintain, manage and stock
But did you ever have any regrets. What amount of time did you keep in it every week what types of filtration upkeep etc. I’m looking for this type of info and conversation

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
But did you ever have any regrets. What amount of time did you keep in it every week what types of filtration upkeep etc. I’m looking for this type of info and conversation
Zero regrets- Less than an hour per week
Changed filter socks and refill auto feeder and ATO and Doser bottles.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my 1600gallon system at my old house and my new build is underway with 2100 gallons operating at the moment with the main display tank under construction which will be 4200 gallons on its own so I will eventually have over 6300 gallons in my new system when its fully online. I enjoy keeping monster aquariums because if you design it right maintenance can be as simple as 250-500 gallon aquarium. I think I covered the highlights below but feel free to ask more questions if needed. I can see not having monster sized aquarium from now on.

Pros
  • Lots of space for corals and fish in larger tanks
  • Smaller chance that aggression issues will happen with fish in larger tanks that have room to spread out
  • Aquascape is on your terms with a much larger tanks there are more options
  • A well designed system can have minimal maintenance and allow you to keep your hands out of the tank most days
  • Nitrogen cycle stability - The larger water volume adds stability in this case (Not true that bigger tanks are always more stable (More in the Con section))
  • Can use radiant heating systems which are more efficient cost wise and eliminate the risks of electric heaters (always use redundant temperature controllers)
  • Fish act differently in larger aquariums once they are large enough to be bigger than their comfort zone they will shoal and start behaving differently.
  • DIY can save you a ton of $$$ which is in part why I build my own aquariums systems now. Also its a fun challenge.
Cons
  • Not going to lie it can get expensive to initially setup as there are additional requirements when you have a monster system (You already have the water volume to consider these if you don't already have them in place)
    • Dedicated humidity control system
    • Dedicated electrical circuits/subpanel (I have a subpanel)
    • Emergency generator/batteries + Emergency plan that anyone can follow
  • Monthly Operating Costs will be higher: I am about to do my second 500gallon water change in a month due to water issues. Budget for the unexpected.
    • Food
    • electricity
    • equipment
  • Maintaining Alk, Ca, Mg + Trace elements is critical and this must be from a reliable source or multiple sources as a failure here will get no relieve from having a larger water volume of water if the system is full of corals
  • Weight of the larger tanks (if you are not on a slab it might cost as much as the tank to professionally install floor supporting.
  • Patience is required: The larger the water volume the harder it is to change things. Its like steering a giant ship with a small engine. It takes time to get moving but once its moving its hard to stop. Everything must be done slowly.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
Rc_reefers

Rc_reefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my 1600gallon system at my old house and my new build is underway with 2100 gallons operating at the moment with the main display tank under construction which will be 4200 gallons on its own so I will eventually have over 6300 gallons in my new system when its fully online. I enjoy keeping monster aquariums because if you design it right maintenance can be as simple as 250-500 gallon aquarium. I think I covered the highlights below but feel free to ask more questions if needed. I can see not having monster sized aquarium from now on.

Pros
  • Lots of space for corals and fish in larger tanks
  • Smaller chance that aggression issues will happen with fish in larger tanks that have room to spread out
  • Aquascape is on your terms with a much larger tanks there are more options
  • A well designed system can have minimal maintenance and allow you to keep your hands out of the tank most days
  • Nitrogen cycle stability - The larger water volume adds stability in this case (Not true that bigger tanks are always more stable (More in the Con section))
  • Can use radiant heating systems which are more efficient cost wise and eliminate the risks of electric heaters (always use redundant temperature controllers)
  • Fish act differently in larger aquariums once they are large enough to be bigger than their comfort zone they will shoal and start behaving differently.
  • DIY can save you a ton of $$$ which is in part why I build my own aquariums systems now. Also its a fun challenge.
Cons
  • Not going to lie it can get expensive to initially setup as there are additional requirements when you have a monster system (You already have the water volume to consider these if you don't already have them in place)
    • Dedicated humidity control system
    • Dedicated electrical circuits/subpanel (I have a subpanel)
    • Emergency generator/batteries + Emergency plan that anyone can follow
  • Monthly Operating Costs will be higher: I am about to do my second 500gallon water change in a month due to water issues. Budget for the unexpected.
    • Food
    • electricity
    • equipment
  • Maintaining Alk, Ca, Mg + Trace elements is critical and this must be from a reliable source or multiple sources as a failure here will get no relieve from having a larger water volume of water if the system is full of corals
  • Weight of the larger tanks (if you are not on a slab it might cost as much as the tank to professionally install floor supporting.
  • Patience is required: The larger the water volume the harder it is to change things. Its like steering a giant ship with a small engine. It takes time to get moving but once its moving its hard to stop. Everything must be done slowly.
on my largest tank I dont have mechanical filtration, only skimmer and bacteria. I do follow you on Instagram but i am interested in seeing your filtration and how you clean glass etc.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have No regrets since upgrading from 225 to 1100. First and top PRO for me is that fact that I 100% built this tank myself and there is real satisfaction in that. I have always wanted a monster and with 10' long and 5' wide there is so much space for fish its just not the same as a conventional 100-200 gallon tank.
Maintenance is not bad at all. Refill dosing containers clean glass with magnet and do some water changes.
Just be prepared because no matter how good you are at setting up a budget you will go over.
For pics see build thread.
Oh and I also do get into trouble with my wife because I don't sit on the couch with her to watch TV I watch my tank. Way more interesting than the crap on TV now days.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on my largest tank I dont have mechanical filtration, only skimmer and bacteria. I do follow you on Instagram but i am interested in seeing your filtration and how you clean glass etc.

The primary filtration is the skimmer, refugium, and biological filtration in the form of live rock/sand. I have a filter sock tray but its rarely used properly. In fact I have left a couple of filter socks in for a couple of months now to try and create a nitrate factory so my nitrates can be boosted in the system. There is also a UV sterilizer on the tank 80watt HO which helps keep the water nice and clear.

Future plans for filtration I am considering an Ozone system and will be making some skimmer modifications to increase its performance.

On a side note I am also considering building a hydro cyclone filter to see how it might work as a portable detritus vacuum or as an addon to drain line filtration to see if it is effective at removing detritus without filter pads.

Glass cleaning I use a flipper max with the steel blade. I never leave it in the tank and it is washed between uses with freshwater to ensure there is no corrosion on the blade. I also inspect the blade before each use. Near the sand bed which I don't have yet I always use a razorblade by hand to avoid sand being stuck on the magnetic cleaners blade which might scratch the glass.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%

Back